Question: Help with a rescue axie

mimozine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. I just rescued an axie from a pet shop. fortunately it was the right size to go in with my others.
it is an albino about 12 to 13cm long. massively under weight although it began eating well from the moment in got into my tank. the last half inch of tail looks like it is regrowing from being chopped off.
the biggest worry i have however is that the gills are tiny. not sure if they have been bitten off or just not grown properly. would lack of food stop them growing correctly? will they grow back like legs do? the top pair of gills is only about 6mm long. the middle pair are barely 2mm long and the bottom pair about 4mm long. will it get enough oxygen?
any help appreciated as i have never seen gills this short.

Re: Help with a resue axie

Hi im not completely sure but i believe they do regrow gills as well as other limbs, ive not kept axies long so dont know to much but im sure there are people on here who can tell you for sure

Re: Help with a resue axie

With good food and the right water conditions your axie may grow its gills back, though sometimes the gills stay stunted. I have an axolotl that I rehomed from another Caudata member and his gills have never regenerated, it's just the way he is!

When your axie has less gill filaments they will more than likely gulp air from the surface more often, but they cope fine like this.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back