Deworming?

mifuneaxie

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I've been reading other posts and one of them said that axolotls should be taken to the vet regularly for deworming. How often is regularly, and what does deworming entail?

Thanks.

Axolotls shouldn't need deworming unless they were fed some type of live food (fish that haven't been quarantined).

What about if they are fed a steady diet of earthworms?

I'm sure the possibility is there as with any live food item but the chances are very slim. If they are fed a constant diet of earthworms I still don't think this warrants a regular deworming vet visit.

The stress of removing an aquatic animal from its tank, putting it in a temporary transport box, and driving it to a vet to administer a systemic poison only for "just in case" seems cruel and senseless. If there is no indication that the medicine is necessary, I surely would not subject my animals to it.

-Eva

Thanks for the replies. I defiantly won't then. I was just wondering if it was necessary for them, like cats and dogs get checkups.

What does deworming mean though? If axolotls eat contaminated food or food that could carry parasites, then they get dewormed?

If an animal has worms, it is given a medicine that either stuns or kills the worms and causes the animal to purge (usually defecate but often also vomit) to get the parasites out.

Like Justin wrote, any food could carry parasites. There is a big difference between "could" and "do", though - and should your axolotl ever really get a parasite, it is better to treat the axolotl for that specific parasite and not just administer something that kills anything in its path. :p

-Eva

Oh, deworming is exactly as it sounds. Haha. Thanks for the reply!

A faecal flotation test is performed to check for presence of parasites or their eggs in the poo before deciding if deworming is necessary.

Deworming is often an oral drench or an earthworm injected with the medication is fed to the axie. One scary thing with deworming though is that the 'mass kill' of worms can also cause an inflammation in the alimentary tract and in severe cases, even impaction from dead worms. Your vet will often also give it anti-inflammatories concurrently.

If an axie loses body condition despite proper nutrition and tank maintenance and you notice all your other axies also going downhill that way, it is best to take it to a vet for analysis.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back