Mesotriton: The Mighty Hunter!?

NecturusLindsay

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Lindsay
Alright, in previous posts I have made it clear that my M.a.apuanus have a voracious, agressive apetite, and always fight during feedings even though they get fed about every other day.

I introduced about 10 cherry shrimp to the tank, which were doing very well I might add, until they became lunch. Yes, out of the ten i have two remaining which I am sure live in fear for their lives every day. I was sure the shrimp were too fast for the newts. Guess again.

My newts are only about half grown, and I just wanted to make sure there is no health risk. Even though these are small, shrimp have some nasty barbs and are pretty poky.
Has anyone had a bad experience involving small newts eating shrimp? I don't see any shrimp barbs protruding from my newts....yet.

Sincerely,
The Provider of $4 EACH feeders... :mad:

It is no accident that it is not advisable to mix species, it is always a greater danger, most newts with voracious appetite!
For good of all animals involved I hope you have better luck next time!

:crazy:

cheers

Some people hold the shrimp so thier newts/axies can eat them. I would assume that it would probably not hurt your newts to eat a few cherry shrimp.

Hey guys. Not entirely truth. You can mix the species you want without evolving Caudates.
Caudates with fish, caudates with shrimps... There is no problem at all...
I do keep orientalis and ensicauda popei with Shrimps and till today not even one death. They just can´t keep up shrimps rhythm. My shrimps live in the most peacefull environment they can find. When a newt comes closer even if totally not interested Boom: they dissapear like a flash :eek::wacko:. I guess they might have died from other causes? Or maybe they are just stuck in the filter or in the plants. Usual..

Cherry shrimp are pretty slow compared to other species of shrimp. I breed cherry shrimp for this reason because my FBN enjoys hunting them.

Caudates with fish, caudates with shrimps... There is no problem at all...

That is a very flawed generalitation...
Only certain species of fish and shrimp are adequate to keep with certain species of caudate.

Lindsay, i wouldn´t worry, cherry shrimp shouldn´t pose a danger.

If the shrimp are properly quarantined then they shouldn't cause an issue.

for about 16 years I've kept newts with shrimp (neocaradina and caradina), fish (brachydanio, guppies, aphyosemion) and Bombina orientalis. Never had any problems, altough it is advised not to do, by lots of hobbyists. If you try this, always keep in mind it can be trouble.

Make that ONE shrimp left.

Cherry shrimp are pretty slow compared to other species of shrimp. I breed cherry shrimp for this reason because my FBN enjoys hunting them.

Grrreeeeaaaaattt...
Blackworms manage to escape my newts, but they can hunt down a shrimp :confused:
Go figure.

I'm sure the colder water this time of year slows the shrimp down even more come to think of it.

The shrimp were quarantined, healthy, happy......juicy, plump....and apparently very yummy. My only worry was impaction or getting stuck on a barb.

Thanks guys!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back