Floating CO's

Emmerish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, I'm hoping someone can help me. I have two baby Chinese Fire Bellies and today one of them (the smaller of the two) started floating. They are still alive but their head is right at the top of the water with their tail hanging down? Any ideas? Will I need to quarantine it from the other newt?

Hello,
to you we can help you to be a little more specific! Baby as well, newly metamorphosed? What kind of setup is to keep? At what temperature is the tank? They have eaten? However you can anticipate that this behavior is normal when the temperatures drop, or when they ate a lot and are full.

cheers

They have been hatched for about a month. The temp is just below room temp and they are fed every day a mixture of live white worms and daphnia. It swims around but it doesnt seem to be able to stay on the bottom. Its only the one newt this is happening to.

Many Thanks

Emma

Sorry the set up is just a regular 5gl tank with about an inch and a half of water and a few stones and leaves for hiding.

Assuming that the temperatures in England are lower than in Portugal I would say that water is a little cold, so he may be looking for an escape. You floating plants or a platform? Now about food I can not tell anything, because I never had newts so small, yet! :happy:

I assume the animals are in the larval stage, having only hatched a month ago. I hatched many C.Orientalis several months ago and reared them through the larval stage. Quite often I saw larvae floating, it didn't seem to have any effect on their health, nor did it result in any fatality so I wouldn't worry; they stop floating after a little while.
I think I asked this very question myself, I'll have a look through my post history and see if I can find the exact thread.

And thus I can not help it, because I have some experience with larvae, because as you must have noticed I did not show have well the concept of the lifetime of an animal in the larval stage! Sorry Em!
Thanks for letting us makes clear, KarlJefferson29!

cheers

Thanks KarlJefferson29. As your thread said my baby has stopped floating now and is happily hiding under a leaf. I did panic as I thought he had gone belly up and attempted to fish him out then he swam off! Thanks so much for your help though.

Thanks A Bundle

Emma :)

As I have 5 FBN nymphs hatching as we speak could I ask what did you fed yours on at the beginning? I know they can go without for a couple of days without anything but I am struggling.

My Microworm culture still isn't growing, and my local aquarist can't get live daphnia til next week, but he has frozen brine shrimp and plankton.

Do you think these will be ok ?

Sorry to be a worrier - but don't want to lose these guys.

after hatching, they won't eat for couple of days, so you don't have to worry. If you can get Daphnia next week, it's soon enough. Frozen food is not be eaten by larvae.

Thx Joost. I've ordered some daph and some live brine shrimp from Fishandfins online shop, so by this time next week they'll be stuffing themselves hopefully.

My live food was a disaster :( - it arrived, and the bottom of the box was soggy. When I unpacked the bag containing the brine shrimp, I found it was split so most of the water had fallen out and the smell was awful. The daphnia bag was ok but 80% of the daph were dead. So it all went into the dustbin.

Now I have nothing but my culture which IS NOT GROWING.

Oh god what do I do now ??

Just an update guys, my little guy died a few days after I started this thread. I still have no idea what caused it as my other baby is fine and getting bigger by the day. Firefly have you put a load of oats and water in your culture? We had some micrworm that werent growing until we put a fresh load of oats in. Next day there was tonnes of worms. Might be worth speaking with your local aquatic store to get them to put a few bags of daph aside. Can you get any live food at all? We have given ours chopped up bloodworm before when it got desperate. It didnt seem to harm them but I would say really they need live food.

Sorry to hear about your larva. I'd had a few inexplicable losses whilst I was raising larvae; I'd very much doubt it had anything to do with the floating issue.
Anyhow, best of luck with the other larva.

Hi Em,
I am sorry for your loss!
Always live food for babies! You have here in a forum discussion on this topic, may go there!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back