Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Changing color axolotl!!!!!

jockey

Reaction score
Hi,
both of my axolotls have pale underbellies, (they had them since i got them) but tonight ive come home to find that my usually VERY dark spotted axoltl was so pale i could since all her spots quite distinctly. she ate what ever i gave her and check the temperature of the water and both the levels of ammonia and nitrites (which are zero). what on earth could have caused this to one of my babies?

some sort of help or explanation would be good............:confused:

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
At rest, when the axie is inactive, they may appear lighter in colour than usual. During feeding or increased activity intensity, they look darker or redder due to increased blood perfusion. This is normal and nothing to be worried about.

You are doing a good job to first make sure that tank conditions are alright. If your axie continues to remain pale or becomes paler over a period of time, you may like to take it to your vet to check that there is no other underlying problem such as anaemia.

Blaze

Reaction score
When Sunny eats, he gets like a mask over his eyes that looks like bruising instantly and his gills go red. I knwo about the gills, but is this mask just a sign of activity too?

Blaze

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I would suspect so. With lighter colored axolotls, such as your golden albino, the 'flush' of blood is more apparent than in darker color morphs.

jockey

Reaction score
something is happening to my baby!!! she is still quite pale (evenly coated on her body not blotches) and it was such a drastic and noticeable change is starting to worry me...and it might be a play on water, but i think her head is slightly more elongated than usual???

the other one is still as happy as can be !!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Would you be able to take a photo and post it here for us to look at ? Also could you tell us what you have in the tank...substrate, plants, filter etc ?

jockey

Reaction score
the substrate is sand...(used to be gravel but i got paranoid about it) the filter i s quiet and is on minimal flow (i use the spray bar.) and every thing is normal....except that she has changed color and has a more ferocious appetite. she usually eats two earth worms (large fatty ones) but today she has eaten four of them !!! i'll try and get my camera working and take some shots.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1