Question: Filter too fast

Kib0y

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I just got a basic starter set to transfer my axies to a 10 gallon tank. The filter I am using is a simple one that has no mechanism to slow the flow down. It is too high for the axies and it seems to be stressing them out a bit. I was wondering if there are any common solutions to controlling this? Types of third party controllers, diverters, or hold ups? Nothing is too outrageous in thought as I'm pretty handy and could build whatever is needed. Just would like some ideas. Thanks guys.

Axies? Use the rule that axolotls like 10 gallons of water each. 10 gallon for one, 20 for two... Just a reminder!

And I've heard of people using sponges to help slow down the flow? I'm sure someone else will comment to help.

Adding plants or some other kind of decoration into the path of the outflow will help break up the current. Diverting the flow towards the side of the tank also helps.

From my experience, 10 gallon start kits come with filter that hang on the edge of the tank. If this is the case, I would just place all of your plants directly under the inlet of the water flow. Also, as hotch noted, it is not a good idea to place more than 1 axie in a tank this size.

Axies? Use the rule that axolotls like 10 gallons of water each. 10 gallon for one, 20 for two... Just a reminder!

Just to clarify some things. These axies are not adults. They haven't even got full rear legs yet so for the time being they are fine in a 10 gallon tank.

You can't exactly use gallons as a rule, it's better to go by measurements. A 20 gallon long is ok for 2 axies but a 20 gallon high is unsuitable. The bare minimum tank I would recommend for an adult axolotl is around 18 inches in length.

Thanks for clarifying for them Greatwtehunter, I'm impressed that you remember the development of my axies lol. A little update on that; they do have functional hind legs now, but still are small buggas :p (roughly 2.5-3 inches). Thanks for the ideas so far, I'm still looking for anymore suggestions. It'd be most appreciated.

What I used was a spare filter sponge over the filter output it difuses the flow and seems to help aireation

I myself aim my filter at the side of the tank glass to prevent a flow :happy:

Possibly incorporating an ornament like some bogwood etc to go up against the output might be a good idea?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back