Best testing kit?

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Eric
Testing kit for water parameters (ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, pH)

I want something real reliable, I am not sure how they work, as I don't own one (which is why I'm asking). I dunno if there is digital, or anything like that, but I wanted something that is going to give me clear results so I can care for my axies to the best of my abilities. Thanks!

In the US, the API Brand Freshwater kits is the best. It averages about 45 USD and is available everywhere, including the big chain stores. This is a reagent based kit that is very easy to use. I highly recommend it for any aquatic hobbyists. Each bottle/test in the kit is good for roughly 50 tests. Replacements of individual reagents are extremely inexpensive and easy to get. You can also purchase individual tests from this brand for around 10 USD each. The big kit is your best value though.

I have been using this brand for close to a decade now with absolutely excellent results. Just a few months back, I compared water chemistry test results from this kit to results from a lab on samples taken from the same tank at the same time. (We send our boiler water out to a lab to be tested once monthly...I slipped in a sample from one of may tanks...) The API tests were within 1% of the lab results.

I love API. We have their products in Australia.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back