Skins problems + tiny white worms...emergency clean out

Sapien

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Sapien
I started noticing my tank glass getting whiter in color, when I took a closer look I discovered I had yet again gotten those tiny white worms that eat everything in their path...no one has yet explained to me how these could possibly get in my tank. I know they can come from organic materials or very bad food. My food is bloodworms and axxie pellets.

Ive done an emergency clean out. No more substrate for my tank until I get some large rocks or slate tiles.
Zuma (white axxie) has developed a motled skin tone of red and her normal color. Can this be from the worms? Anything I can help to get any worms off her if there are any left?

Being as your axie is eating very nasty (as in easily fouls up the water easily) food I'm not surprised to see that you have them. You've already taken the proper steps to get rid of them. Just make sure to siphon up all the little bits of pellets that get scattered around the tank and uneaten bloodworms after the axolotl is done eating. Are you rinsing the bloodworms before you feed them to you axie?

I would assume since your axie is white then the red splotching is just the blood coming close to the skin because it is active. Can you provide a photo?

can't really wash frozen bloodworms. I clean out uneaten food after every feeding. And Zuma has been very active lately, probably stress from the worm infestation. Photo can't be arranged at the moment because Zuma is in a black bucket while water is aging.

can't really wash frozen bloodworms.

Here is part, if not most of your problem. If you want to see what I mean then let one frozen cube of bloodworms thaw out in a small glass with just a touch water. All of that blood is what is fouling up your water. To remedy this just thaw out the bloodworms, put them in a fine mesh net, and then rinse them under the tap.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back