Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello

morgrid

Reaction score
Hi, My name is Robert I live near Portland Oregon. I joined the site because I am interested in Axolotls. I have read about them several times in the past and have always thought it would be neat to raise some of these wierd critters. In looking for a source for these creatures the internet led me here. My background is in tropical fish, I have maybe 40 tanks right now from 2.5 to 55 gallons. I raise mostly killifish and livebearers although I have a quite diverse collection. I have been in the fish hobby for close to 40 years. I have had frogs, toads, and newts in the past but these were mostly local stuff that were in my ponds and such.
Anyway I feel I have the resources to do a good job raising and hopefully breeding some of these things and hoping to use the site as a source to get started.

tonimeloni

Reaction score
hi there welcome to the site! im hoping to get an axolotl very soon too i am also very facinated by them :D
:ufo:

CosbyArt

Reaction score
Hello Robert and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have quite the fish room and the experience to back it up. :D Glad to have you here.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1