Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Getting a pair of tigers.

CodyR

Reaction score
Hello everyone, im new to this forum, but not new to keeping newts. i currently have a a 5 fire belly newts and a few reptiles. in the next month or two i will be getting my hands on a pair of tiger salamanders, ive read up on a few care sheets, and i was just wondering if you guys had any tips on how to care for these guys?

himynameiszck

Reaction score
Tiger salamander climb. A lot. I had no idea going in, so I put in a fake tree for decoration. My little guy climbed all the way up it, and was about halfway out of the tank when I saw what was happening. All I can say is that it's really good I was in the room when it happened. They're much too heavy to climb up glass, but if you have anything that they can get up, make sure you have a lid on the tank.

Good luck with your salamanders! They're pretty amazing pets, I have to say.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
They're much too heavy to climb up glass, but if you have anything that they can get up, make sure you have a lid on the tank.

While this is true, regardless of whether or not you include objects that could be climbed on, a lid is still a necessity. Salamanders are escape artists, and even though Tigers are large, you never know what may happen. Best to be safe than sorry.

I have to say, pretty much everything you'll need to know about housing Tigers can be found on the Caudata Culture care-sheet.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
And as someone new to the forum who may yet not know how to navigate this site, here is the link to the caresheet Nathan referenced:

Caudata Culture Species Entry - Tiger salamander

I've seen many poor quality caresheets on the web that either lack information or contain misinformation...the one cited here is the one you will want to follow.

If you have any specific questions after reviewing this information, please feel free to ask here.

Liorah

Reaction score
I would agree with Nathan about getting a lid. I don't know if a Tiger Salamander would be capable of this, but I've seen my A. Gracile stand up on her tail in order to get higher up the sides of her tank!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1