Axies out of water?

emeraldd

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I had a friend who had an axolotl & he said you could train them to come out of the water by placing minimal water in the tank & a rock they can climb up onto from the water. I saw a set up like that in a petshop too...
So, is this possible or quite bad for them?

:]

Axolotls do have rudimentary lungs and so they will not die out of water, but they are fully aquatic animals and should be underwater at all times. I've never heard of them voluntarily leaving a healthy tank.

-Eva

I have heard of people trying to induce morphing in axolotls by trying to reduce the amount of water in their tank. This is inhumane and definitely poor welfare. Most axolotls will die during the process.

Axolotls still rely very heavily on their gills and skin for respiration even though supplementary oxygen can be taken in by their rudimentary lungs. Furthermore, their skin has to be kept moist at all times to prevent dessication.

To summarise, yes, it is not good to set the tank up this way for axies as they are fully aquaticc.

I thought that they needed a hormone injection to become terrestrial?

No stress from poor water conditions can make them morph. It does seem to extremely cut their lifespan . There is a morphed axolotl in a Mexican zoo that has lived 5 years but that is some kind of record. Mostly it is a only a year or two. Your unmorphed axolotl can make it to around 10 years old.

That's quite interesting :] & Im glad i knew all of that before curiousity got to me!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back