Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eggs!maybe?

Painisme

Reaction score
:eek:I think there are eggs on a plant in my tank but there is only 3 or 4 and although i watch my axoltls everyday I never saw a spermaphore or any strange activity so someone please look at my horrrible picture and tell me what you think. Also how do I tell if they are fertile, if so Id like to remove them and prep a rearing tank.

Attachments

• tank eggs 009.jpg
    tank eggs 009.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 158
  • tank eggs 011.jpg
    tank eggs 011.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 131

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
It appears. although a tad blurry, that you do in fact have eggs. The circular shape and fact that it has attached itself to the plant lead me to believe this. Congrats :)!

Painisme

Reaction score
yes the dots are covered in a clear jelly like substance and

YAY!!!!!!!

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Just some advice, don't get in over your head...if you plan on keeping and raising them, make sure it's a reasonable number..there will probably be A LOT of eggs :). What types are the parents?

melfly

Reaction score
I agree with shizeric. Dont try and raise more than... i would say 20- 30. Thats if you get more! Mel

Painisme

Reaction score
they are eggs =) there's more! I would say there is about 15 now I'm taking the plants they are on out and putting them into a 10 gallon tank I just went and purchased then Im going to hatch baby brine shrimp. I was thinking of trying to raise 10 or so :cool:.The father is a luecistic and the mother is a wild type.This is awesome!:D

melfly

Reaction score
You might want to start with 15 or so eggs to allow for casualties. If you want to be raising around 10. If you plan to sell the rest of the eggs get advertising them now you dont have a very long time to get them sent out before they start hatching. Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1