Infection?

jockey

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi guys,
my spotted axolotl Paolo, has very tiny white things on her gills. they're so tiny i dont know if they're actuall little bits of the gills!
her back legs have also swollen (not to inhuman proportions just slightly)
im taking a photo so someone could help me diagnose the problem. hold on..... i cant geta clear picture of the gills but i can tell you it has been VERY hot here and im worried this is the result of it. her belly is also white in contrast to her body, but its always been like that. i need help!!!!!! if the photos arent up then this website is giving me trouble and wont upload them.

Hi Jockey,

first things first please let us know what your tank parameters are:

Temperature:
Ammonia
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
PH:

what kind, if any, substrate are you using in your tank?

Is Paolo eating and pooping normally?

To be honest I dont really want to give a specific diagnosis with your axie as the symptoms you've discribed could be due to several different things and secondly i'm no vet :).

tx

axiegaz

hi,
all water parameters are fine except the water temperature shot up to 32 DEGREES!!!!! all thanks to my forgetfulness and stupidity. i have both of my babies (paolo and quetzo) in tubs out in the air conditioning until the water temperature lowers to at least 18 degrees ( ice in water bottles etc.) they seem to excreting waste and eating fine and seems to be looking much better since the temperature dropped. alot of people though are saying on other websites (i dont believe them) that axolotls do fine in warm and hot temperatures anyway........which i highly doubt or i wouldnt have this problem. what signs are credible to heat stress? is the swelling on the back legs normal?

Sorry to hear about your tank situation. I know axies DO NOT do well in warmer water temperatures... I know there's variability on the highest temperature an axies can stand but I would not recommend about 75F at the most extreme. Most common stress signs an axie presents in heat stress is curling of the tip of the tail, the top fin portion of the tail can be "wrinkly" or wavy instead of straight and the gills will bend forward so they are pointing toward the nose. You could see some pigmentation lighten or see white patches on the skin as well.

both axies were showing these signs until i put them back into the tank. they seem far more relaxed now and im fighting to keep the temperature down. they seem to have unfurled their tails and stopped banging into things and panicking..... they also seem to be getting color back. i bought them when they were in pretty bad shape so there doing much better now. i feel like a terrible owner for stressing them so much. the temperature has been lowered to 23 degrees but it should lower more soon.

paolo is really dark brown with spots (kinda like a sunburnt cheeta lol) and Quetzo is melanoid. i know Paolo is a girl, but i dont know what Quetzo is....... anyway they had EXTREMELY pale underbellies when i bought them and they were suffering....so i felt i had to save them.....they still have the pale underbellies.......i wonder what could cause this?

Could you try uploading the photos in your gallery? Without photos, it really is quite difficult to tell what the problem is.

i've been trying to put photos on but they're too big to put on the website and i dont know how to shrink it (if you can). i've tried putting urls in but on again ERROR. how can i get pass this?

thunderarrowalchemist93

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back