Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Swallowed stone

KINGOFTHEMODS

Reaction score
Hello all, mr axolotl had a white dot on his head i tried salt baths and nothing happened so i left him and he seemed fine the dot went then came back along with about 5 or 6 other small white dots so i put him in the fridge. that was about a week ago and today when i checked on him there was loads of white stuff in the water and a stone! as i have never kept him with stones so i think he's had it since before i got him. does anyone know, could the stone have been making him uncomfortable giving in the white dots?

scrappa

Reaction score
The stone was giving him an impaction most likely and whenever he ate stuff it would digest and be stuck in his stomach so this might be what the white stuff is.

Where were the 5-6 white dots?

I have no idea why the dot was on his head this could be a small tumor if you are VERY unlucky. If this is so your axolotl may need to go to a vet.

KINGOFTHEMODS

Reaction score
hello scrappa, the white dots area little bigger than a full stop and there is a couple on his head a couple on his body and a couple on his tail, the poor sod. i thought about impaction i hope it is just that and that one stone is all he had swallowed or else its one last go with salt baths then the vets, i will have to find a good one near me! if anyone knows of a good axolotl vet in or around coventry i'd be glad of their address. cheers.

KINGOFTHEMODS

Reaction score
hello again, in trying to find a camera that can see the dots. thanks for the interest its been a real worry. i should have a good camera by the end of the day so bear with me......

KINGOFTHEMODS

Reaction score
here we go these ones are quite good ,cheers for the camera advice i need a new one!! anyway heres mr axolotl any advice is welcome.

Attachments

• Photo0094.jpg
    Photo0094.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 216
  • Photo0091.jpg
    Photo0091.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 199
  • Photo0093.jpg
    Photo0093.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 199

scrappa

Reaction score

KINGOFTHEMODS

Reaction score
hello again, theres been nothing added to the tank and i use dechlorinater before any water is added it does seem a bit of a mistery,hes not getting any worse but the dot are not going and hes been in the fridge for three weeks now. i was thinking about retuning him to his tank and treating him with MELA FIX i feel sorry for him in the fridge on his own and he has not eaten a thing all the time hes been in there. thanks for your concern :happy:

melfly

Reaction score
Hiya
What are your water readings (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) and temp please?

Dont use melafix if you overdose it can harm your axie. Also melafix can kill off the beneficial bacteria in your tank making your situation worse

Mel

Kerry1968

Reaction score
As long as you're sure your tank is safe (ie. temperature, water chemistry) I would say it would be OK to put your axie back in the tank. If he has been in the fridge for 3 weeks with no sign of fungus or any deterioration of the condition then I think he'll be fine.

Just keep an eye on those spots that they don't get any worse, or show any signs of being raised, oozing or bleeding, in which case a vet visit would be advisable. If you are still concerned about your axie anyway, you could try to hunt down an axolotl (or amphibian) savvy vet and get them to take a look.

Good luck.

KINGOFTHEMODS

Reaction score
thank you kerry and melfly i think i will stick mr axolotl back in his home but i wont use the melafix ,i didnt realise it could wreck his water, ive used nearly all of my testing stuff , so ive been taking my water down to the aquatic store to get tested,its on the street i live and they dont mind, they said the water is good with no abnormalities. thanks for your replies i really appreciate it. i will let you know how mr axolotl gets on, me and him are very grateful. fingers crossed.

KINGOFTHEMODS

Reaction score
mr axolotl is back in his tank and shows no signs of getting worse so i taking that as a good thing thanks for everyones help!!!!!:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1