Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

So bam bam died, but what are these things on him?

pinkangel729

Reaction score
So my poor lovely axie Bam Bam died the other day, if any of you had seen my other threads you would have seen that he had stopped eating and had a lump under his throat.

I had a feeling he might die, i dont know why i could just sense it.

I wasn't around when he died but came home to find his body looking in a terrible state, blood blisters and so on. What causes these? he was in a tank on his own.

I am worried now that he died in horrible pain and so on.

Photos attached, any info would be great.

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 396
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,439
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 764
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 612

melfly

Reaction score
Aww soo sorry. Poor Bam Bam

I know that babie axolotls decompose very quickly. Hopefully its just decomposing and not something nasty that caused him pain.
Poor little guy

Mel
x

pete

Reaction score
I don't know what these blisters are, but it's probably just part of the putrefaction process. To learn more you can Google around "body decomposition", "putrefaction", etc. I'm not a fan of looking at some of the pictures. Things can decompose quite fast in the water Many of the bacteria release gas pockets, fluids leak, colors change.... Many of the things you are observing may have happened post death. Maybe someone with more forensic knowledge can chime in.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like he might have died from infection(s), that's what usually causes the swollen throat (stomatitis) and the redness of the skin. The animal is already partly decomposed in the photos, so it's hard to say if the blisters happened before death or after. If you didn't see any hint of these blisters when you saw him alive, I would guess they happened after death. That's just a guess though.

kuphie

Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss. That swollen chin/abdomen looks like edema/acities to me (fluid accumulation in the body), this can be caused by many internal disease processes. From heart failure due to genetic defects or old age to kidney/liver insufficiencies due to old age, nutritional deficiencies (high fat/low vit diet) or infections that turn septic. None of these processes are a simple fix, once the damage is done it can go downhill quickly. The blisters are probably the pockets of fluid escaping from the decomposing body.

Ex: One time I euthanized a dog so edematous in the abdomen and legs that it started "sweating" after dead. (mind you dogs DON'T sweat other then on their paw pads usually when nervous)

Last edited:

The Banana

Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear about this. :(
I really don't know, just wanted to let you know I understand how you feel. Losing a beloved pet is always hard. :(

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you guys notice that this post is over a year old?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!