Axolotls are weird

vulcan

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone,
just thought i would post a random thread about how weird axolotls actually are. i love mine and after much observation i have come to the conclusion that axolotls are weird, i never get bored just watching them be them. so i vote this thread be opened to discuss all the weird things we have seen our axo's do.... like gulping water with no food in site, or failing to swim sufficiently, or the fact that they always do things in stages with long pauses between each thing they attempt to do, IE walking with 10s long pauses between each step

Re: Axolotls are wierd

It is like someone keeps pushing the pause button in their brains. How about how they swim to the surface and then slowly fall to the bottom without moveing a muscle.:wacko:

On occasion, my little wierdos (said with love) will sit one on top of the other. This pile can be four axolotls high.

When the wildtypes, leucistic, and albinos do this - I am reminded of a neopolitan icecream stack.

And then of course, there is their yawn. It's a trifle disconcerting to look through that gaping maw and see a seemingly endless tunnel beyond ;).

I take so many video's of my axie! I love to watch her eat. My boyfriend makes fun of me because I constantly rave about the totally boring things she does (which I find exciting). I agree, Axy's are weird but I could use a couple more!

Axolotls at the Pacific Science Center can be show offs! I work with them every weekend and when there is a crowd around they put on a show! Our male axolotl swims through air bubbles and takes large gulps or air! It is absolutely adorable!

Our Axies have a rather odd habit of lining up at the front of the tank and just staring at us when we have friends over! It's rather disconcerting seeing four wide grins unswervingly eying us from the other side of the room. I have a friend who swears they're plotting to eat us, and considering how they go for my fingers at mealtimes, it wouldn't surprise me at all. Perhaps they're just cunning, and biding their time....
;)

hehe both seem to have their own little quirks:

Gretchen does the yawning followed by a sort of lip smacking thing which is simply adorable :) She likes to sit on top of either the anubias leaves, the very top of the filter or one of the big pieces of slate with her head lolling down, probably looking for shrimps :). She also has this "standing proud" (example in my gallery) posture at the front of the tank every time we have guests

Klaus, he will almost beg for food, which is equally adorable as Gretchen's yawn, standing at the front of the tank and wave one of his arms. He also enjoys floating whilst sleeping at all different depth. The first time I saw this, after reading the Sick Axolotl forum for a couple of hours, I panicked somewhat thinking he had some major ailment like gas disease or an impaction or but as soon as he saw me he release his air bubbles, sank and started waving for food :)

A couple of things they both do is stack upon each other regularly, stand next to each other at the front of the tank and just stare - this totally freaks my girlfriend out, "it's like the axolotl village of the damned!!" she says. They also like to move ALL!!! the plants around. Almost every day I come into my front room in the morning and they've moved something.

EDIT oh another thing that Klaus has stopped doing is trying to eat my fingers he'll still bite but it's not the normal snatch bite its more like gentle clamp and release.

Last edited:

i concur! they are a bit wierd, but so fascinating.
i was sure Spike had the hiccups the other day.
so far his favorite game is 'find the spike'! he loves to hide.
i also agree with PP who likes to watch them eat and thinks its funny...i think so too.

i've been told they are wierd looking...there i have to disagree. i think they are cute.

in a weird way ;)

It is their weirdness that makes axolotls so wonderful, if you ask me. As a species their neoteny and regenerative abilities are rather strange. I just love watching my axolotl yawn or stalk his prey. When he's hunting a shrimp he puts on a clear hunting stance. It's so much fun to watch. The yawning is just excellent, though. I also find it funny that my axolotl has trouble telling the difference between food and my fingers. He tends to suck one of my digits up, desperately try and pull it in further, let go and then slowly crawl over to the corner where he looks ashamed of himself, bless him.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back