Injured newt needs help

Nancy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I rescued a small fire belly newt from my sons tank...he had a big one and a small one and the big one ate the small ones hand. It seems to be OK; eating well and moving fine, but the injury is nasty looking. should I intervene with goop or just leave it alone? Thanks, Nancy and Krypto

Welcome to the forum!
Well, there´s a possibility that instead of being eaten, the hand was eaten away by an infection.
First off we need to know the species, since firebelly newt can refer to several. If they are Cynops orientalis, then agression is very rare and it might be an infection. If they are Pachytriton labiatus, then agression is a very fair possibility.

Also, try to upload a picture, it´´s usually rather easy to see if a wound has been caused by infection or agression.

Anyway, if the wound is clean and there is no fungal growth or further damage, then it might heal on it´s own and grow back in time.

As Azhael suggested, is it possible that the hand eroded away due to infection, rather than attack? Limb rot is fairly common for firebellies, especially newly-acquired ones.

Some options are given here:
Caudata Culture Articles - Illness Part 1
Caudata Culture Articles - Sores
If you want to apply something, a triple-antibiotic ointment (without pain killer) can be used.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back