More questions about feeding earthworms

angyles

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I've recently started feeding seymore earthworms. At first, I gota few from my garden. they were pretty small and he was able to swallow them hole. But it's winter and they're hard to find so I got some nightcrawlers from the store and they're HUGE.

After giving him a big daddy and watching him get thrashed around the tank by this worm sticking 4 inches out of his mouth (he refused to let go LOL) I had to cut it off just outside of his mouth. NOW I read that oh yeah, I should be cutting them into 1-2" lengths. duh.

So my question is, how do you go about doing this? Do you jsut lay the wiggling worm out and hack it up? Do you freeze it first? Then, after you've cut this worm into say, 3 pieces, what do you do with the 2 remaining pieces when he only eats 1? OBviously they die. do you stick this bleeding, dying worm chunk back in the container and feed it the next day? am I missing something? YUCK!!

After that...tell your friends you stayed up late cutting worms with a pair of scissors in your basement feeding your Axies! Gavin

thank you so much...that was exactly what I was looking for! I had browsed through all the axolotl specific info, but not the general caudata info.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back