Some fungus.

kinkyoto

Reaction score
Country
United States
My axolotl named Whale seems to have some fungus. I'm not quite sure, but I think I might start doing salt baths tomorrow. What do you guys think? Attached is a picture.

Attachments

• DSCN6594.jpg
    DSCN6594.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 208
Hi Kinkyoto,

It doesn't look like fungus to me. It looks like it may just be skin shedding - this tends to be more noticeable for wildtypes and melanoids due to their dark skin tones.

Is he eating okay, and acting normally?

How long have the white marks been present?

I would keep an eye on him, and wait a day or two before considering saltbaths (the unnecessary use of salt baths can cause a great deal of stress and cause more harm than good).

Please keep us posted (comparison photos from one day to the next day may be of help, too).

Thank you Jacquie. Yes, it's eating normally. I feed it half an earthworm most of the time. And it also acts normally. Every time I come near the tank, he would swim to the surface of the water to see me. The white marks have been present for about a day now. I'll post an updated photo in the morning. Thanks again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back