Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Freeze Dried Brine Shrimp ?

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Firstly I think it would be hard to get your larvae to eat non live food, secondly I don't think there is much nutritionally in freeze dried foods anyway.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Depending on the size of your larvae, adult brine shrimp are too large for them to eat. Freeze dried versions are more trouble than they are worth, since they must be rehydrated and tend to float on the surface. Better to use frozen brine shrimp that have been minced with a razor blade.

Truthfully though Cynops species larvae tend to ignore non moving food items (though I had moderate success with decapsulated cysts). Unlike many Ambystomid larvae, Cynops larvae live by the rule "If it moves, and is small, it is food"

Better to put forth the effort in hatching out live brine shrimp napuli or, even easier, getting live daphnia and moina to feed them. They will also eat whiteworms and microworms depending on their size.

firefly

Reaction score
Thank you. I've been patiently using my trusty turkey baster to suck up tiny baby daphnia today from a cloud of the stuff, took ages, then dropping them into clean bottled water for a wash, then popping them into the larvae. I hope they appreciate all this palaver.

frequenc

Reaction score
I'm sure they'll appreciate it very much!! Daphnia are a MUCH better choice over freeze dried brine shrimp and even live baby brine shrimp IMO because they are fresh water so they won't foul the water.

stitchpunk

Reaction score
I agree! I spent much time and money getting a batch of baby brine shrimp to hatch out, only to find my Japanese FBN larvae weren't interested in them. They much prefer the daphnia and the mosquito larvae from the daphnia tubs - which are free! (though they do make the water a bit messy)

I'm sure they'll appreciate it very much!! Daphnia are a MUCH better choice over freeze dried brine shrimp and even live baby brine shrimp IMO because they are fresh water so they won't foul the water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!