Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Stuff hanging out of gills?

ladybeetle911

Reaction score
Ive been reading the forums for answers, but havent seen a post with exactly the same issue. I just bought an axie last night from a lady on the internet. The guys tank was immaculate, he looked fat and healthy. I only brought him home last night, hes eating fine, and acts fine, but he has white stuff hanging out of one gill. It looks almost like shed skin thats stuck, but I didnt notice it last night. Its quite large for it to be a bacteria thing that just grew because he's in a new tank (hes been in it for only like 15 hrs). I will try to get a pic up, but my camera isnt wanting to focus. There are no spots on him, his gills do not look damaged, and his color is perfect, everywhere, including gills. Any thoughts?

ladybeetle911

Reaction score
not fuzzy, more slimy, like what youd think skin would look like from them, and as far as spreading, Ive had him less than 24 hrs, so I couldnt say... it almost looks like its something in there hanging out, not really growing off of...

ladybeetle911

Reaction score
Im looking closer and it looks like there are 2 strings hanging from the gills as well, but only on the one side, same side as the white stuff, one string looks white, one looks blackish, the color of the gills. I really wish I could get good pics, i took some, but am not having success with uploading, and they arent very clear.

ladybeetle911

Reaction score
Interesting, but... all the white stuff is gone, the strings are gone, nowhere to be found, and hes active and doing fine... Ill keep my eye out and watch to see if anymore forms.

scrappa

Reaction score
Hi,

To post a picture go down when your typing your message and go below post icons then click manage attachments click browse then simply find the picture you want then put upload and its done.

I think he was just shedding.

melfly

Reaction score
Hi Ladybeetle911
Hope all is well now.
Are you managing to keep the temp below 20?
If you haven't already got a master test kit you will need one to monitor ammonia, nitrite and nitrates.
If the tank is uncycled you will need to be doing small daily water changes.

Mel

ladybeetle911

Reaction score
Yeah, Im keeping him at the proper temp, but if I kept it at 20 degrees in my country, he'd be a popsicle ;) I am doing water changes, and I have a ph monitor on the tank.

Blaze

Reaction score
You'll probably need to change those stones to a bare bottomed or sand. Those stones could be axiedentally (haha get it) swallowed and cause cause impaction and even death!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You should keep the tank below 70F if possible.

As far as the unknown substance: in the future if you encounter this, you take a turkey baster, you can try to gently blow the stuck whatever (sometimes its food, worms, pieces of poo, etc.) out of the gills with streams of water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1