Illness/Sickness: Red blisters on feet - photos

Gin

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Gina
Hi all,

Recently I noticed my axie's tail had grown some red lines along it...it looks a bit like burst blood vessels (?). So I put him in the fridge. He's been in the fridge for about a week now but now his feet are growing these red blisters!! What should I do?!

Also, the red lines on his tail are still there...but they have not gotten any redder or bigger, so I don't think i need to be too worried about it?

He's been eating beef heart for the last 2-3 wks.

Attachments

• IMG_0157.JPG
    IMG_0157.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 3,338
  • IMG_0155a.jpg
    IMG_0155a.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 11,199
Hi Gin,

So he had developed this whilst in the fridge? when you have been changing him have you declorinated the water?,Is there a towel over his bowl so the light fromm the fridge is not disturbing him?

Can you take readings from your tank if possible,Temp & water?

You should switch from beefheart as this is used only as a treat for axolotls and not a stable diet food.

Best foods to feed axolotls on are Earthworms & Bloodworms if you can.

Yeah the red blisters were developed while he was in the fridge.

I change the water everyday with dechlorinated wAter...however the water is kept at room temp ..so maybe this is causing the blisters? because of the frequent changes in temp?

The water is about 6degree celcius in the fridge...its summer in aust now so room temp is about 24degrees celcius

not too sure about ammonia levels as i dont have a testing kit..however i change water everyday so hopefully it wont be too high....

The fridging article reccommends keeping the water change in the fridge at the same temp as the water the axy is in, so theres no temp shock when doing the change.

It might help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back