Flourish excel

angyles

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone used flourish excel in their axolotl tank before? Is it safe for them? I've got a little staghorn algae on an amazon sword that I'd like to treat.

Here is some good info on it:
Aqua Botanic - Flourish Excel
My guess is that it's fine for axies. However, if it contains any sort of preservative, the manufacturer doesn't have to tell you that. So I suppose there is a small risk of that.

It might make the sword grow better, but will it do anything to get rid of the algae?

Well, Flourish Excel is a solution of glutaraldehyde or its polymerization products so there are some small worries about toxic effects from this compound especially to eggs and invertebrates. It's discussed on a local fish forum here. The poster 2manyhobbies is my coworker and he has done some analyses of Flourish Excel to figure out exactly what it is (gluataraldehyde.)

I can't contribute to the safety question, but I'll clear up the algae question that Jennewt asked; Flourish excel is sometimes used in concentrated amounts, aimed directly at algae, to kill it off with extra carbon.

Actually, I wonder if the dosing method changes the safety because it wouldn't be as diluted as usual before entering the tank? It would dissipate quickly, once the filter were turned back on, though. Maybe you could remove the axolotls while you treat the algae with concentrated excel, just to play it safe.

I've used it in invert tanks before, but at no more than the recomended dosage for co2 uses. It jsut limits how many leaves you can treat at a time because it does have to be applied directly with a syringe.

Maybe I'll jsut put the plant in one of my fish aquariums while I treat it, where I know there's no risk of harm.

What kind of plants do you need to dose? I know that crypts loose their leaves with drastic changes in water properties, so it might depend on the plant.

I'm not worried about the plants...there are only a couple plants that melt from excel, mostly Vals, and i don't have any of them in this tank. Crypt melt happens from just about anything including simply moving it from one spot to another LOL. I'm more worried about seymore and his delicate gills and skin. Since inverts can suffer distress from a full dose, it seems he might as well. Doesn't sound like anyone has used it in their axie tank though so I'm not about to be the guinea pig!

Probably the right way to go. Sounds like Vals might be ok with a little temporary transplanting.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back