Odd white bit on gill. Any help apppreciated :)

Cruor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've had my wild type axolotl Joannna for about a week now, shes in a 40L tank and has a diet of bloodworms, brine shrimp, and sometimes little bits like liver from the butchers to keep things interesting and I mix it alll randomly, she gets fed every 2-3 days. The temperature of the tank is normally bobbing around 20 depending on how the house gets (we're a student house). Anyway at the weekend I did a water change and fed her. Today I went to feed her again and I noticed a little patch of white on one of her gills, it dosent look like anything else is wrong with her and she ate one out of 2 bits of food i put in her tank to give her a choice today, any she dosent eat I'll remove. The tank is filtered but a pretty weak one and it has plants. I took measurements of the ammonia and nitrite and nitrates using a colour strip testing kit. The Nitrite was somewhere between white i.e. 0.0 and the first pink square which is 0.5. The ammonia coloured up in the stressed zone. I've assumed that it is this which has lead to this so I'm slowly doing a 50% water change to see if that makes things any better. I know theyre meant to be messy creatures so exactly how often should i be changing the water, is there anything else I can do about this? Thanks in advance.

I've heard a lot of different opinions on water changes, but mostly I hear about 25% weekly. If your ammonia is at high levels, that should be your first priority. High ammonia levels can easily lead to an unhealthy axie. It seems most axies tend to get white bits on their gills, but most of the time it just goes away. You also might want to include earth worms in your feeding schedule, as they are probably the most nutritious option. Do water changes, get the ammonia down, and see if problem is resolved.

While my tank was cycling I did daily 20 % water changes, plus regular spot cleaning. I tested the water regularly too until the ammonia went....boy did it take a long time!!
I found the link below really useful.

Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back