Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: White bump

eFaN

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Today i noticed a small tiny WHITE bump/pimple-like thing on my paddle tail's belly.
my question is, is this e start of something awful? eg. sores etc. ? if so, what are my options? will salt baths help?

Thank you in advance.

cheers.:(

eFaN

Reaction score
i currently do not have a camera with me now..

but its something like this..

http://www.caudata.org/forum/attach...4459-white-spot-fire-belly-newt-dscn1113b.jpg

taken from this thread http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...er-help/48659-white-spot-fire-belly-newt.html

the white "dot"/bump near its left hind leg..

what should i do since i assume its still in the early stage?.. whatever it could be..

ive already move it to a hospital tank, clean cool water with no gravel ,juz 1 wood for hiding..

audrey

Reaction score
I would give it a salt bath...make sure the salt does not have iodine in it. There is info on caudata culture on how to do a salt bath. However, if you want the quick version what I do is take a small container and put new dechlorinated cold water in it and shake the salt in it like you were salting food - just a thin later on the bottom, stir it in until it desolves, then put the paddletail in for 5 minutes. Then even if the white is still there put it back in the hospital tank and watch it. Repeat this every day until the white is gone. Are there other paddletails in it's normal tank? Is it a new acquisition?
In my experience if it is just a surface infection from it being in a fight or getting hurt on something in the tank than this should clear it up in one or two treatments. However if you have just gotten the newt then it may be a sign of some internal sickness which would mean that it does not heal up quickly and you may need other kinds of treatments.
Hope that helps.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
If it is a sore you need to figure out what caused it. If there are no signs of fungus then I wouldn't worry about a salt bath just yet. The important thing here is to make sure its water parameters are at optimal levels and the water remains cold. Normally I would keep the newt terrestrial and treat the wound with Neosporin (the kind without pain killers) but since paddletails dry out so easily I have never tried it; maybe someone else has and will speak up.

eFaN

Reaction score
thanks for the reply guys!

ever since i put it in the hospital tank, the bump seemed to have cease and/or its not getting any worse. its been around almost a week now..

will update if there are changes..

cheers!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1