Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Constant flow water systems.

Kiwi303

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Has anyone done a constant flow axie tank?

We use spring water as our house water, it comes up in a rocky hollow int he side of a bank where a 2" pipe siphons it out into a 44 gallon barrel mounted on the hillside which acts as a sump and header tank. The outlet from this then feeds down around a 15 meter drop and goes underground to feed the house. the water pressure is similar to a city mains pressure.

This is non-chlorinated, oxygenated, clean water. What I am wondering is whether splicing into the house water system and running a pipe to the axie tank, fitted with a restrictor set at about 5 liters per hour (a slow dribble), and an overflow to a drain, is a good idea.

No need to worry about water changes, water levels getting low, flow rates low enough to to worry the axies, constant refreshment of the oxygen in the water...

What negatives am I missing?

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Sounds like a decent idea but doesn't it seem like a waste of water? I would also get it tested to double check that it is safe for amphibians.

Kiwi303

Reaction score
Waste of water? hmm, you may be thinking in terms of someone on limited water supplies :D if we were on rainwater tanks, then yah, but the spring flows something on the order of 2 cubic metres/2000 litres an hour. 5 to 10 litres an hour is not much at all when taken in that context. The overflow on the sump/header tank flows even with every tap in the house on full.

No need to worry about wasting water here :D

Since it's out of a sping, it's also non-chlorinated, we live on the border of a national park, the nearest house is 3 Km as the crow flies, and the next one after that is about 4 Km the other direction. Pollution isn't an issue :D It's the water I currently use for the Axies now, straight out of a tap into a bucket and then from bucket into the tank after siphoning some out to make room for it, they're quite happy with it :D In fact ones gills are growing since I brought them here.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
While a viable idea I feel the expense and logistics of such a build would far outweigh the benefits.

The biggest issue is that such a system has a distinct possibility of introducing parasites and diseases to your pets from the great outdoors or worse, distributing the same from your pets into the wilds.

Kiwi303

Reaction score
Hmm, good thought on the parasites and pests, but since the water change water already comes form the same source, unfiltered and untreated, those same parasites and pests could currently get in via the water change water.

Logistics and costs is the biggie, but to be honest, not that much of a biggie, 4 meters of 1/2" pvc water pressure piping, several joins, a flashing, a flow regulator and a tap. then on the outlet, 1" low pressure piping, several joins.

Waste water goes through the spetics where there is a large population of bacteria to eat any wastes, and then out in a subsoil greywater field. Introducing pests and parasites to the exterior environment would be less likely than my current tossing out the siphoned out surplus water from a water change on the lawn.

Whether or not I install it in this house, the new house we will be building in a couple of years, is goign to get some taps and drains built into the structure in the lounge, den, and a couple of bedrooms, not just in the bathrooms and kitchen.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1