Suggestions for what next!

RobM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Rob M.
Hey all,
I currently have C.Orientalis and Neurergus kaiseri.
I would probably prefer a small/medium sized newt so I can offer them a good sized tank for their size.
What are your suggestions for what I should I get next?

How about I. alpestris? They are pretty, a nice size, and should be fairly easily available in the UK.

Not meaning to divert too far from the subject; but do you find marmoratus easy to breed? I too am hoping to keep newts again, once I've moved out of uni halls.
I've a similar sort of interest to RobM, though I'm not sure whether to opt for C.Orientalis again, or another species. I'd hope to breed them; thoroughly enjoyed that experience.

Cynops cyanurus is also a good candidate. They are bred fairly easily plus they can tolerant a wider range of temperatures than most newts.

After P.labiatus and C.orientalis I left for C.cyanurus, are also easy to maintain, however are much more interesting! However, if you do not want newts of the same kind, you can choose other, as in the genera Triturus, Mesotriton, Lissotriton and Paramesotriton, species also have many interesting and easy to maintain!
Good choice! ;)

cheers

Thank you for all the replies.

I am not worried about how readily available or easy to keep the amphibian is, I would love to be part of breeding programs for endangered or rare amphibians, however I know that it would be difficult to be let on board with these programs and the amphibians would be very hard to get hold of.
With that in mind, feel free to suggest pretty much anything, in fact the more interesting the better!

As I understand! :D I've also been through this phase! :cool: But do not forget that you already have one of the most beautiful species, Neurergus kaiseri. :eek: What do you want more?
I suggest you read the list of species of Caudata Culture. Only within the family Salamandridae have 21 genera and numerous species, not to mention the subspecies. If you do not find there your treasure where you can go to another family!
I have helped!
Good search! ;)

Although your idea is very noble, i´m not sure what you have in mind. There are no breeding programs of endangered species that include individual hobbyists. All the "breeding programs" you can do is to breed an species to make it more available for the rest of the hobby, but as far as serious programs, there´s nothing you can do really....since those have to be handled by oficial organisms. Incidentally, breeding and re-introducing animals by yourself is ilegal and a very very bad idea.

I would recomend finding a species that you like and that it´s not dificult and go for it....forget about getting on board on a breeding program cause that just won´t happen..:s (sorry if i´m bursting a bubble here, but it´s the truth :/)

What happens if the ones you like are endangered? :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back