Female has been laying eggs for 12hours, help!?

cherryscented

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Alice
Just before I went to bed last night I noticed that one of my 10 month old axolotls had laid her first lot of eggs. I was planning to leave her overnight, and then remove them today. However, she still seems to be laying eggs (12 hours later), there are hundreds of them, shes covered the plants and the two half plant pots they hide in, she seems to be distressed as theres nowhere else to lay them, and is holding her cloacal region with her back foot. I'm worried if i take the plants out and remove the eggs that she will get even more distressed. Any advice welcome?:confused:

clean up and drop in something that will float and has projections to attach more eggs to? somthign like a floatign bath brush or a hairbrush? she my want more space to stick egs too, in which case it would make sense to do so for her.

Here is one idea
Caudata Culture Articles - Egg Strips
Also, you can use nylon knitting yarn.

My other suggestion... leave the plants there. She will probably lay too many eggs anyway, so it may be OK if she eats some.

Thanks for the help :) She's ok now, eggs have developed really quickly. I kept them out of curiosity, to see if they had been fertilised due to it being there first lot of eggs. Now i don't know what to do with them! can't bring myself to chuck them out.

HI,

you should put the eggs back into the tank, if you don´t want to raise the larvae. They will be eaten by the parents - at the latest after hatching.

-Tina-

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back