Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Fire belly newt with white growth in mouth

fbn

Reaction score
Hello, I have a fire belly newt that has a white growth. It is in it's mouth (lower jaw), making the lip droop a little bit. I am going to try and get a picture. The white so small i'm not sure i'll be able to, though. I just noticed it today, so I believe it recently developed. I think I would have noticed it otherwise.

How should I treat it? Thanks!

Edit: I don't think I can can a picture. The growth is a gray to white color.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like a sore, but without a picture this is just a hunch.
If it´s a sore, given the species, it´s most likely a flesh eating infection. The standard treatment for that are salt baths, but i wouldn´t give any treatment without knowing what it is.

fbn

Reaction score
Would a sore be visible if it is internal? This growth is internal, but he has to keep his mouth opened, because of it.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/illness3.shtml

I think it is the color of the fungus picture.

He keeps doing something that is like gulping. Would it be good for me to pick him up and try and see the exact color of the growth?

On Caudata Culture is never says anything about internal fungus, though.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Salt baths wouldn't hurt, but they might not help either. The only suggestions i have are veterinary care, or else a "shotgun" approach - use one of the antibiotics available for treating fish and hope that it responds. But we don't have a clue whether it's fungal or bacterial, so anything is just a shot in the dark.

fbn

Reaction score
So, any fish medications will not hurt the newt? Or any ingredients that would maybe be in a medication?

fbn

Reaction score
Okay, after reading more on illnesses I see some ingredients are dangerous. All right, I guess I am going to shot gun. Azhael you believe it is sores (can they be in the mouth), so what should I do? I think it is like a fungus, but I am not the expert, so what medication shall I try first? Thanks!! I'm on pins and needles!

fbn

Reaction score
salt bath
refrigeration
triple-antibiotic ointment
I could buy some fish fungus medication tomorrow. I would like to do something in the mean time, though. Thanks!!

Oh, and one thing that baffles me is, the illness chart does not show anything for internal fungus. It's either skin or eggs. So, can it be fungus in my newt's mouth?

fbn

Reaction score
Okay, his mouth is worse. It is a whiteish thing for sure. I guess I should do a salt bath? On the illness charts it doesn't say anything about internal fungus, tohugh? And it also says that you are supposed to pick the fungus off of your newt. How am I supposed to do that? Also, should I use the high dosage or low dosage?

fbn

Reaction score
Sorry, I do not have a good camera (the flashlight made the lighting better). If you look at the mouth, you can see the white.

Okay, I have the picture, but how do I upload it? I click manage attachments and upload the picture, but it's not posting it?!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What is the file size of the photo? Maybe it isn't posting because it's too large.

fbn

Reaction score
It's just a small photo. I have it in one of my folders on my computer. I uploaded it and it shows on the reply thing that I have uploaded it. I guess I am not posting it right? I click manage attachments, then I brose the photos and pick the pic. Then it uploads and it shows right above the manage attachments that I uploaded it. Then I click submit reply. What am I doing wrong?
Caudata.org Newt and Salamander Forum Got it!

Attachments

• 000_0005.jpg
    000_0005.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,709
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1