Fungus???

jockey

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi guys,
i went for a holiday and let my axolotls stay with my older sister.
trouble is when i came back i looked horrified to see that she put FISH!!! in the aquarium with them. i freaked took them out and now im not sure they have a fungus or they're growing their gills back. its not 'cottony' but is is indeed white on the gills. im so scared but this website is causing me trouble putting up photos which are more than 500 kb (how on earth do you take a photo with that amount of space is incredibly small) i REALLY want to diagnose the problem but without photos its pretty much useless. I NEED HELP!!!!

dont worry i know for sure its a fungus now.....i've started doing salt baths and i have done two today.
i just wanted to know if the fungus should just start falling off or do i have to Very lightly rub it? or do i do something else?

Use a Q-tip to gently roll it off. Also, when you do the salt baths you'll want to space them out as evenly as possible (say one at 8am and the other at 8pm).

thanks for the advice!!!
my melanoid looks much better after one go, but my wild type is looking worse for wear....... well it'll get worse before it gets better i suppose.

tried that and it didn't work..........but good news!!! the fungus looks completely gone from the melanoid (Quetzo) but i have still a little way to go for my wild type (Paolo). does anyone have any ideas as to feed them? they wont seem to eat from my hand any more and i don't want to leave food in the tank.....

hi...amybe you could put them in seperate tubs for a little while(before their bath or after) with some food in so it can wiggle around and it might get them excited enough that if they wanted to they can have a nibble without fighting and then you could return them to their tank after the salt bath ready to relax.......

lea

thanks for the tips!!
they seem fine now even after a couple of salt baths the fungus is completely gone on both Quetzo and Paolo. im trying the individual bath thing, even though they don't bicker for their food (i hand feed them) they should like the feeling of catching their own meal....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back