Very sad little leucistic :(

Stumpy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Mt Waverley

My poor leucistic Wooper is sensitive to our water, and it's affected him badly...

I went down to the beach for a little while, came back and the tank was high in ammonia and the filter was all clogged So we did a large water change, (50%) and cleaned out the filter medium, replaced mediums and also flushed out the chiller.

The tank has very little bacteria to support lotls at all. In short, toxic within a day. I'm starting to salvage what I can of it, with samples from my small tank.
I bought a new dechlorinator, which I think has not been doing it's job properly. All the axies in their temporary buckets grew nasty stress coats, floating and shedding despite being kept in cool dark and quiet places. I am going to buy our old one again this afternoon.
The others are recovering, except my leucistic wooper.

Wooper is in really bad shape. He's floating limply, flat out refuses food (He's lost weight alarmingly fast) and all of his little veins are showing up darkly under his skin. To top it all off, yesterday he started to curl the tip of his tail, it looks like it's been bent sideways at the tip. I'm really worried about him, I feel he may be getting too sick to even recover from.
I put him in the fridge last night, and it's hovered around 10-7 degrees, but I've said it before our old old fridge is pretty much a certified axie killer and happens to dip below 4 degrees arbitrarily. I'm wary about keeping him in there unmonitored.

Just wondering, do you think it may have been the ineffective dechlorinator? what are chlorine effects on axolotls?

This is all very upsetting seeing as he's been making the strongest recovery out of my new petshop axies (his gills grew from bare nubs with maybe eight filaments to share between them, to the fluffiest little stalks I've ever seen and he was growing so quickly...)

Any advice is appreciated!

hi stumpy..im not sure about the affects but i imagine they cant be good ..i think you might have to find a vet for wooper...i hope everything turns out ok

lea

You need to remove the axolotls from the tank then and properly cycle it. Your Wooper will do fine in a plastic shoebox in the fridge with bottled spring water until then. That will keep him safe during the Ozzie summer while you get your tank squared away.

Answering these questions for us will help the forum to help you:

What substrate are you using if any?

What temperature is the water?

What do nitrate, nitrite and ammonia test out at?

How hard is the water?

Was the tank ever properly cycled to start? For how long?

What is the water volume of the tank?

How many live animals reside in the tank- including snails, shrimp and the like?

Chorine is mildly toxic, but how toxic totally depends on the concentration. Chlorine dissipates rapidly from standing water, unless it is cold or unless the chlorine is in the form of chloramine (do you know which one you have?).

This may be off-topic, but I'd recommend replacing the refrigerator. Old fridges are major hogs of electricity. New ones are much more efficient. Replacing an old fridge is one of the best energy conservation measures that one can take; much more effective than remembering to turn off room lights, for example. Given the high temps in AU, a new fridge could pay for itself (eventually) just in electrical savings.

New advancement: All three lotls kept in buckets have developed fungal infections, not too serious but enough to warrant twice daily salt baths. Wooper also has developed some, but they're just small so he's getting some tea baths. I don't want to salt bath him in particular, a bit fragile like. He's been in the fridge and an esky, respectively around 7-10*
Also, none of my axolotls are eating now :( And I still don't have our usual dechlorinator.

@Sludge:
Hehe, there's a chiller on the main tank which is why I was reluctant to switch them out to begin with -- It's been stinking hot here lately. The temperature in there is about 18*C, and in the coldest room in the house it's about 20-21 which is how I've been keeping the others.

There are four axies in about 110L, two of them are about 17cms, and the other two are about 10cms.
I have one golden apple snail in the tank as well, and there are occasionally extra guppies from my breeder tank but they never last more than a few days.

Substrate is black sand of maybe one centimetre thickness, and there are two anubias plants on driftwood and a pot. Wooper however I think is still at risk of impaction, I got him from a petshop about over a month ago and there's been a few sizeable chunks of gravel suspiciously sitting on my sand.

The tank was cycled, I started in about.... september? It was cycled by early november and the water parameters had been keeping steady enough, with weekly changes. we had a significant drop around december which the tank recovered from, (we didn't really know how a filter worked and thoroughly scrubbed it all out vigorously).

@Jen:
Yeah, we're in a market for a new fridge all right. Problem is this is my boyfriend's parent's house, and I'm a second year uni student out of work P: What they say goes~ :(

Also, melbourne's water quality is pretty good, minimal chlorine/chloramine as compared to some areas and probably on the soft side. I don't have any tests, unfortunately. See above situation ^

Ok, now... Gachomp died late last night :(
She was my big golden albino, one of the three kept in buckets. I really didn't expect this, she seemed by far healthier than wooper, and had the most weight on her... I'm now really worried about wooper and gigawats, wooper is extremely lethargic and is too spaced out to even notice food. All of his gill branches have turned a deep purpley colour and he's patterned with a myriad of purple-red veins. He's also so skinny now he has a visible waist. Not to mention the tiny fungus spot on his gills...

Purple gills sounds like lack of oxygen, blood turns bluey-maroon when depleted of oxygen, and a rich vibrant red when oxygen hits it. You only ever see red blood dripping from cuts because it picks up oxygen upon hitting the air so most people thing blood is only ever red.

Interesting biology experiment on maemogobin in into to biology is to prick your finger when your arm is sealed into a purged chamber containing 100% nitrogen atmosphere and compare the colour to the blood obtained by prickign your finger in the open air with a oxygen containing atmosphere.

Can you aerate some water and place the axies in that and see if the colours of the gills change? Pour some water from bucket to bucket a dozen or so times so the water splashes in the bucket and lots of bubbles form, let it settle and introduce the axie to the water and watch the gill colour.

Yeah, upon the sight of purple vessels under his skin I didn't think the colour was unnatural, but I certainly don't think it should be displayed as such :/ The thing is, the fimbriae on his gills are a flaming bright red, it's the branches that are purple. Wooper had just about no filaments when I bought him and the shortest branches I'd ever seen -- Now they've grown a little longer, but the filaments virtually exploded onto the branches all at once.

Also, I'd heard that some deep sea fishes' blood is actually copper based, because it can still flow at lower temperatures than the surface water. Apparently they bleed blue!

Last edited:
Oh god, this is really not going well :( Wooper has died just this morning. I only have my two little wildtypes left! I'm really quite heartbroken, I don't know what I'm doing so wrong... Whilst I hate to say it, I think I maybe knew that wooper was on the way out... but I didn't expect this to take wooper AND Gachomp. Maybe it's not just a fungus? What other things can make an axie float around distressed like? Parasites? Out of my two remaining wildtypes, one is still sick. He's floating about limply in his little icecream tub and doesn't show much sign of improvement. His gills have started to shrink, and still won't even sniff at food, but rather he feebly runs away from it :( I don't want to lose Gigawhats too :'(

stumpy...im sorry to hear about your babies........i loss my larry a couple of weeks ago........you are doing your best dont doubt yourself..........

lea

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back