Please help!! My salamander has a big black spot and other tiny ones all over his body!

Starry

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi guys, I'm hoping you can help me! I was up for hours last night searching for what my salamander has and saw this website. It seems like people reply quickly and I saw one story that had pictures similar to what Iggy has. I'm scared to death to take him to the vet after they told me they would do a skin biopsy that would need one or more stitches plus anesthetic. Does anyone know what this could be so that I have an idea of what to expect when I do take him in? I'm very new to this site and not sure how to work some things so I'll try to get pictures up. Thanks for any input!!
Oh, in case I can't figure out how to get back to this thread you can email at starwinter86@yahoo.com

Attachments

• IMG_5545.jpg
    IMG_5545.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 754
  • IMG_5546.jpg
    IMG_5546.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 1,052
Hi Starry,

It's hard to tell with those pictures, in the first picture it almost looks like a mass of some sort but in the second picture it looks like a discoloration. If it is at all possible. try to get a clear close up of the area so that we can get a better idea.

You may also want to consider changing his substrate, if I'm not mistaken they prefer something that they can burrow into easily.

There is some good info here http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_tigrinum.shtml

Cheers,
Alex

Thank you for the reply! I don't believe that it is a mass as it is pretty much flush with the skin and I was able to gently rub it off about a week ago and the skin underneath seemed normal (then it reappeared in the same place). I went to take another picture and the spot is completely gone. There is still some grey where it used to be and I'll put that picture up. I'll also put up a picture of his other environment, please let me know if it is salamander friendly. The tank upstairs does have rocks and have been wanting to switch to sphagmum or something similiar but I don't know where to get it or how to clean it ect. Thanks!

Here are the pictures

Attachments

• Iggy in his basement pool.jpg
    Iggy in his basement pool.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 1,940
  • IMG_5547.jpg
    IMG_5547.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 1,168
The fact that you rubbed it off and it grew back and then vanished concerns me a little.
It looks like it scared or discolored the area. If it comes back I would place her on a thick layer of wet paper towls with a hide for a couple days. During this time I would rub a little antibiotic creme just on the area of concern. Or you could try doing salt baths.
You would soak her in saltwater twice a day for no longer than 15 mins at a time. This is very important!!! And do it for 5 days. I beleive the the salt water mix is 2 tablespoons of salt per liter of water. But you should check on that. His kiddy pool is huge for a salamander you could keep 10 in there. It looks a little dry in the picture.
I would be worried that such a large open container like that might dry out on you. So
just be careful. Is she able to climb out of it. The sides didn't look that high to me. The sides should be higher than she is long. They are escape artists. Their moist skin clings to plastic. I learned this the hard way once but was lucky and found him before he dried out. Good luck with her.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back