I got my first tiger salamander.

Aw! He acts just like my Newton used to. He has gorgeous coloring. I found that mine really liked to hide under damp leaves. You just have to be sure the leaves are soft, nonpoisonous and not going to scratch him up. Paper towels work well too. How exciting for you!

Thanks for putting the video up! Best of luck!

Beautiful tiger dude!! Nice setup up too. Just make sure your substrae doesn't get too dry and the temps don't get too hot. Otherwise he looks good! (And some decorations!! lol)

He has a really great pattern, Keep him cool try to stay 72 degrees or lower. Keep his coco fiber moist but not wet. Feed him 3 times a week. I night crawler or a dozen crickets per feeding is fine. Remember to dust the crickets once a month with some rep cal or gut load them first. Don't place the tank near a window the sun might cook him. Are you sure he is a he? If was hard for me to see the cloaca but the body shape and tail thickness made me think it might be a female. Good luck

Feed him 3 times a week. I night crawler or a dozen crickets per feeding is fine. Remember to dust the crickets once a month with some rep cal or gut load them first.
If feeding 3 times a week, a dozen crickets really? You didn't indicate cricket size - but I might recommend to begin with 2-3 large crickets [if feeding 3x weekly], hand fed for a tiger of this proportion (not thin) and alternating with night crawlers. Feeding volume is also dependent on temperature of the enclosure. Tigers are prone to obesity...see the myriad of threads on the forum describing this.

If not hand feeding and just placing crickets in the enclosure, then a few more may be needed as some may die prior to being eaten. Be sure to remove any live uneaten crickets after several hours as they can bite the sal...and of course remove all dead ones.

Titrate food volume based on the tiger's growth and girth.

Im not sure why I wrote that this morning a dozen crickets over a whole week would be more than enough

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back