Illness/Sickness: Is this healing or an infection?

kaylalouise

Reaction score
Country
Australia
hi =)

i bought two axolotls last sunday. It was apparent after the purchase one may have been attacked on its lips.

i have finally been able to get clear photos of the lip.

please let me know what you think. does it look like there is an infection?

what should i be looking for?

i dont want to do salt baths if i dont have to as i know they dont like it. after all who likes salt in a wound.

i am also a little worried about mthe state of the gills. are these okay?

Attachments

• P290110_18.25[01].JPG
    P290110_18.25[01].JPG
    43 KB · Views: 317
  • P290110_18.25[03].JPG
    P290110_18.25[03].JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 242
  • P290110_18.25[05].JPG
    P290110_18.25[05].JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 212
added one more if this helps

Attachments

• P290110_18.24.JPG
    P290110_18.24.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 317
It's kinda hard to tell but I don't see any fungus so you don't need to worry about salt baths. Just the best thing to do is keep the water clean, cold, and the axie well feed and it should heal on it's own without any problems.

The gills will grow back in time.

Does anyone else think his throat looks a bit bloated?

Mel

I was wondering the same thing Melfly.
I would follow Justin's advice, but keep a very close eye on any more swelling around the throat. It may be a mouth infection and that will need vetinary care.

Hi,

to me it looks like an infection. There is a red ring with a yellowish middle and the bloat indicates an infection, too.
Please take him to a vet and in the meantime you should put him in the fridge, for a lower bacterial growing.

-Tina-

hey everyone,

just letting you know both my axolotls are in the fridge now. around 10 degrgess.

i changed all their water today.

should i try to feed them?

Leave them with live blackworms or small earthworms overnight, they may not eat as the temperature slows the metabolism down. When you do your daily water change you can remove the food if they're not eating it.

i am waiting for my earthworm farm to arrive. should be in the next few days.

can you explain what part looks bloated so i can see if it is going down?

i think that lottie's gills are even smaller now, she keeps them back so you almost cant see them

This is a usefull article on bloat - Caudata Culture Articles: Bloat

The area that looks slightly swollen is your axolotl's lower jaw and throat area..but this may be from a mouth infection. If the sore on the mouth is not improving now I would take it to a vet to make sure all is well.

good news is my chiller is finally up and running and the temp is already going down.

i will check tomorrow to see if the throat still looks swollen, weird thing is she seems more active than she was when she was in my hot tank.

hope she is healing.

Question: when i feel lottie's lip where i believe see was bitten, it has gone hard. much like a piece of skin would when you have a cut.

i hope this is healing.

i would like you opinion on whether i shoul conitnue to leave her in the fridge or put her back into my tank when it reaches 16 degrees?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back