Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Moving house

toxictart

Reaction score
My axolotls have recently been losing thier gills however i have took out the oxygen and stopped the water changes as often as i did have them, we are moving to france in a weeks time and they are taking the tank with them so i have brought them a carry case me and my mum have put half the water they are in now in the carry case and their toys so they have all the good bacteria in them however im not sure what to do about the tank will they be ok to stay in the small tank for a few days i dont want to stress them out is it a good idea to keep the water they are in now in the carry case?

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
First of all, why would anyone move to France!?!? Lol, just kidding. How long is the trip? I would just use fresh water for a short trip as long as the water is clean and nice and oxygenated. How small is the tank when you say "small", like 1 gallon? or like 10 gallons? If the carrying case is just for transport..you don't need to include toys for the good bacteria.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing Mel, I think you will have to get some research done to find out if/how you can take them over to France. I think it's likely they won't be allowed. At the very least you will have to declare at customs that you are transporting live animals into the country.

toxictart

Reaction score
Hello i am yes we have got Defra vet checked and we are now in france so the move went fine the tank was pretty small but we had to carry it off the tunnel they did not seem too stressed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!