Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: New and have a few questions

michaelaf

Reaction score
Hi i a new to the axie world have had my 3 for about 4 days now.and i just want to make sure im doing ok. my tank is not finished yet so i have them in a Tupperware container. dont seem to be any attacking. they all have their front legs. how long before they have their back legs? i have been feeding them brine shrimp that i hatch for them. i feed them twice daily for 15 mins each time. this is correct? when feeding them i move them to a new container to keep food out of their living area. i accidently sucked one out while cleaning with a turkey baster, he seems fine, he should be ok right? when can i start feeding them earthworms? do they climb up things? sorry so many questions. i will probably have more.lol. i love watching them i watch them eat and i check on them alot. but they dont seem very active it might be the temp. its like 55-60 F in the room i have them in.

michaela

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
If they don;t have their back legs it, it's going to be probably about 6 mos til they eat earthworms. Seems like you are doing a fine job, They don't "climb" things, although I'm not sure what you mean. The little one who got sucked up should be ok, as long as he is doing ok and doesn't show any injury. Welcome to the world of axolotls.

michaelaf

Reaction score
well on my tank i have a fake vine plant that covers the filter im worried they may climb up it out the water. i may just take it out. also i was wondering with how small they are(about an inch) if my filter might suck them up. i think i might wait to they are bigger before placing them in the tank. also how deep can the water be in the tank?
thanks i am trying my best. i am a animal person and thought axies were just completely adorable and had to have a few.

Shizeric

Reaction score
Are they smaller than the filter intake? If yes, then that might be a concern...they don't climb, so I wouldn't be worried about the plant. Your water can be as deep as you like, and the more water you have, the easier it will be to maintain correct water parameters.

michaelaf

Reaction score
ok i will wait to put them in the tank for a while then. how often should i do water changes and how much water should i remove? thank you for answering my many questions

Shizeric

Reaction score
People have lots of opinions on how they do water changes. Axies are notoriously messy, so a lot of people do weekly 25-30% water changes.

lea

Reaction score
hi michaelaf

i do mine 20% weekly sometimes fortnighly depending on the water parameters. i would do it more often in a small tupperware container
lea

michaelaf

Reaction score
thanks another question for how long are brine shrimp good. i have so many left over everyday and dont want to toss them.

melfly

Reaction score
Hiya. I do one hundred per cent water changes on my tub babies, moreso because i feed them in the same water if not i would do maybe 50per day. I keep my brineshrimp 2-3 days altho after the first 8 hours they lose a lot of nutritional value. But mine tend bulk up on them. You could also vary it with live daphnia. They will be able to sniff out frozen food at that age too. Mel

michaelaf

Reaction score
thanks for the 2 to 3 days i keep the brine shrimp in the hatchery with the air bubbler thing right? ok i will try to get some frozen bloodworm or something from the pet shop.

melfly

Reaction score
Yeah i keep them bubbling for 2-3 days. I dont imagine they all hatch at the same time so some will still be quite nutritional anyway, they also start diein on me after this length of time too. But 2-3 days suits me ok anyway. Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1