Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

C. pyrrhogaster Cloudy eyes/blindness

wpken

Reaction score
Blind C. Pyrrhogaster?

I dont have any pictures...but its eyes are sort of milky so im guessing its blind? anything i should do to take care of a blind newt out of the ordinary? its also my first newt too, what luck. Oh yea to anyone who's been paying attention to me I finally got a newt! woo yay me, hope it makes it because after i purchased it one of the assistants took one of its tank mates out because it was apparently dead =( sharing a tank with firebelly toads pfft i feel bad for contributing but it was the last one left. Planning on gettin more this weekend if anyone is interested but yeah it may be blind, and I wouldnt need to concern myself about him breathign only underwater because hes an adult right?

wpken

Reaction score
i recently posted asking about blind treatment (how to care differently) for my C pyrr. I may be wrong about him being blind and he/ she may just have cloudy eyes due to either infection, shedding problems, diet, injury, or toxins. It is most likely to be a diet infection or a toxin issue with toxins being least likely. My Rex is brand new..got him tonight and if its infection id like to know what kind of infection could cause his eyes to cloud, unless any infection can trigger this, or if its a specialty infection how could i go about treating this? ive read the caresheets and have seen nothing specific towards clouding leading me to believe its generally caused by infection but please, input is always accepted =P

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I put your two threads together because they are basically the same issue.

Since the newt just arrived from a pet shop, it could be anything. It could have been exposed to a toxin during the import/wholesale/retail process, or it could have been exposed to something infectious that could do this. Diet seems less likely, since the diet they get in the wild is usually good.

How cloudy are the eyes? It may go away when the newt sheds its skin. I don't know of anything you could do to treat it, particularly since there's no way to know the cause.

wpken

Reaction score
Hah i noticed, thanks and they are both resolved if i dont mind saying so myself. I feel bad giving the store money to buy newts to mix in with the firebelly toads..but im practiclly buying their next shipment. i can probably say this post is closed and sorry i made two seperate posts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1