Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Filtration for Necturus

Meyerhoffman10

Reaction score
Hello everybody, i am new to the forum and am interested in getting some mudpuppys, i have kept a number of non aquatic herps and some different types of fishies and at one time two dwarf sirens. But i really really love the way mudpuppys look and i just really like them!! I am wondering what kind of filtration everybody uses to keep the water clean and clear. I have read the care sheet here on the website and they don't seem too difficult to keep. but i am not all that knowledgeable on filters and such. Any suggestions would be great!! also where could i get some mudpuppys? not necessarily right now but maybe in a few months. Thanks guys!!

Nathan

Reaction score
What size tank will you have, and how many mudpuppies do you wish to keep? How much are you willing to spend?

There are many different types of filters, and most of them will do the job if you select an appropriate size and set up and maintain it appropriately. Differences are largely in cost, reliability, flexibility, ease and frequency of maintenance, etc.

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle and fishless cycling? If not, please read up on them. A properly cycled tank is very important; otherwise ammonia and nitrite levels will build up and harm your salamanders.

I have not kept mudpuppies, but I understand that they need cool water and lots of dissolved oxygen. Don't get them if you can't provide these conditions. Oxygen is easy to provide, but keeping water cool can be tricky.

Carolina.com has mudpuppies for sale. You can also try the want ads here. Be aware that captive breeding of mudpuppies is nearly unknown, so your animals will be wild-caught.

Good luck!

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
A regular fish tank filter is fine for them The tank will need a filter that is rated for the tank maybe even the next size larger. The kind that hang on the back of the tanks are perfect.I like Marineland filters with the bio wheels for added benificial bacterial growth The water has to stay cool. I should not reach over 72F or now u are begining to stress them.They need multiple caves and hides. They will eat worms,ghost shrimps and guppies. They should be kept one adult per tank. They are known to fight. Also their water should also not have passed though a water softener. Hope this helps

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
BEFORE you can get a filter you have to decide which species of mudpuppy your going to get. Some species (Necturus maculosus) live in streams and need a filter that provides a good amount of current. Other species (Necturus punctatus or Necturus beyeri) live in calm waters and therefore need a filter that provides as little water movement as possible.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1