Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What age Axolotl to buy

phoenixlady8

Reaction score
I'm new to hobby of keeping Axolotl's and am curious what would be a good age Axie to start off with. They seem pretty hardy (compared to my saltwater corals) and to think that I don't have to turn 1200 gallons of water per hour makes me really happy!

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

1. best age for a newbie keeper
2. best species
3. best place to buy
4. space requirement formula? (1" of Axie per gallon)

Thanks all

~Laurey

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
1. Age is all up to what you desire in an axie. A juvenile will require more frequent feedings, usually of bloodworms, or smaller food. They require daily feedings, as opposed to an adult that will feed mainly on earthworms every other day or twice weekly.
2. Species? All axolotls are the same species. There are a variety of color variations, so it's up to your own desires on what you are looking for.
3. You can find plenty of axies on the FS: USA section of this website, and a lot of people will speak highly of the quality animals they receive. You can also occasionally find axies for sale in pet stores, but it's hard to be sure of the health and condition of these.
4. An adult axolotl can grow over a foot, so most people say the absolute MINIMUM for 1 axolotl is a 10 gallon tank. The larger the tank the better, and when it comes to axies, a larger base is much more important than a tall tank.

BBJ

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I would suggest that you get a semi-adult/adult Axolotl as a beginner. They are somewhat easier to keep as opposed to young babies/juveniles which will require much more attention.
In comment on the tank size, i feel that 10 Gallons is really pushing the limit for keeping an Axolotl, in my opinion 20 is the bare minimum but of course as always... The bigger the better :happy:

Anyway, good luck with it!

Oh and about buying one, i strongly suggest finding a private Axolotl keeper to buy from, this way you can be sure to receive healthy and well cared for animals as opposed to the evil petstores of doom where unfortunately, Axolotls are more often than not kept under very poor conditions.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
1. Buy axie that is 3 inches. It will be well started and able to eat almost anything.2. Any color morph that makes you smile3. Place a wanted add on this site.4. One is fine in a 15 gallon. A 10 gallon will be out grown in about 6 months. A 20 gallon would be best and can hold 2 adults as long as you have plenty of hides for them.Remember to cycle your tank before you get an Axie. You will need 1 tank, a filter,a half inch of cleaned play sand, 7 day old aged water and a dozen feeder guppies. And a Ph and ammonia test kit. It takes 4 to 8 weeks to cycle the tank. Details can be found on this site. Somwhere or just post another question....lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1