GasMaskKid
Okay so I have my basic tank for my Axolotl
10g Tank
WaterFall Fillter
Pepal Rocks
Fake Plants
Cave
Hood N Light

I have read on Axolotl.org that the temp. for axolotls are about 57-67 or so.
I've found a heater that can keep the temp. low as 68. Will that stress the axolotl out?
This is my first one and I don't want to kill it. I looked up manual ways to keep the tank cool. The thing is that I'm really active in school and sports. I want something that will keep it good and not have to workmyself over it.
People told me about "Chillers" but dang.....$100+. I don't have that kind of money.
I want to get a new fillter down the road too, it's just a matter of timeans pennies.

Thankyou so much!
Sean M. Burgess

Edit:
After I posted I went looking on others set-ups.
Well I think my rocks are to small.......
I can't do sand cause I don't have time to mess with it.( I would love to do it tho)
When I get out of school I will post up a picture and let you see.

Last edited:
Hi Sean.
You won't need the heater , the axolotl will need to be kept cool and will tolerate low temperatures well. Also the pebbles will probably need to be excluded. A bare base will be fine. I am glad you have been researching more since you first posted. Have you checked if various spots around your home are cooler?
Finally, any pet needs a bit of work and maintenance. Axolotl are messy little things and will need daily spot cleaning, small weekly water changes etc..if these are not carried out there is a danger that it will become ill.
Do keep up with the research, look at the various posts in the axolotl section...and keep asking the questions.

The reson I asked about the heater is that my room keeps the water in the tank about 75F.
I can't move the tank outside my room. Even inside my room it is to small to place the tank by the window or something.
So if the 68F would be fine, I think that's the only option for now.
I really hope I can find a way to get thewater colder.

The heater would do nothing to the temperature then. It wont make the tank cooler. Its not needed. I think if you dont already have an axolotl it may be best to re think whether you can keep the water cool enough and whether you have time to keep up with tank maintainence and provide it with adequate care. Mel

The heater would do nothing to the temperature then.Mel

If my room temp keeps the tank at 75F?
The lowest on the Heater is 68F
how won't that bring my temp down. I think your getting (Heater) in your head more than the temp that it produces......
That's a 7 degree diffrance. Yes I can maintain my Axolotl. I get Monday off of work and practice. That will be my weekly clean day.
I have like 2 hours from when I get home to spot clean and make sure it's okay.
I cant be there to put ice cubes or 2L. So I thought the Heater that is 1 degree higher than ideal for Axolotl would be okay?

Last edited:
A HEATer is specifically designed to produce heat. They are made for the sole purpose of creating heat. The heater says 68 degrees because it is designed to heat water to that temperature, not cool water to that temperature. Imagine trying to put a space heater in your room in the summer to try and cool your room down (it won't work). What state you live in?

As shizeric said, a heater will only heat the water. It will only come on if the temperature in the water is lower than the temp you set it at. Your heater will be off until your water reaches less than 68 then it will heat it to 68. Like radiators they dont come on to cool your house down they come on when the temp drops below what you set your thermostat at. So you will need to find time to manually keep the tank cool ie ice packs or buy a chiller. Mel

Okay, point proven.
Well guess no Axolotl for me........sad cause I really want one....
Well thankyou for help.

Save up for a chiller. Or have a look at home made coolers people make out of computer fans. Have you tried havin no lid on the tank and angling a fan at the surface to see if it brings the temp down? Mel

Yeah, if it is already 75 degrees in your room, and it's the middle of the winter, you would definitely need a chiller if you were planning on getting an axie. According to weather.com, it's 31 degrees down there right now, you must have the heat in your house set pretty high :).

I just looked on eBay. I don't think the fans would work that well.
Wouldn't they make too much nosie?
I say some specs for a home made one out of a mini frig.
I don't know, kind of heart broken.....

Yeah, if it is already 75 degrees in your room, and it's the middle of the winter, you would definitely need a chiller if you were planning on getting an axie. According to weather.com, it's 31 degrees down there right now, you must have the heat in your house set pretty high :).

Yeah I'm a cool type of person. I can't stand the heat, but I'm still in High School and it my parents rules.
The summer time the tank should be fine, but winter is a pain.....

I closed my vent going into my room. I hope that gives me some better readings.
Im surfing the web for a cooling fan. Just dont know whats good.
There are diffrent brands....god i hate ebay and ****

Do you have a basement? Some basements are significantly cooler than the rest of the house, and could be the axie's house for the winter. When you would be able to provide reasonable temperatures, you could transport his tank back to your room. I know the unfinished part of my parent's basement is about 15-20 degrees cooler than the rest of their house.

Nah, no Basement. No need for one in NC.
Im just going to buy Two single fans. The site clames to cool 2-4C, but i want to get one more disincase they get lower readings.
They cost $20 Bucks a pop, but whatever i guess. I just want this to work.
I want my Axolotl BAD!!!!!

For enthusiasts, $40 bucks is nothing...I have spent about $600 since November setting up my tank for my 2 axies. They may seem easy and inexpensive...but they can certainly get pricey.

Okay
Well Im going to order than, might have to MOD my hood to fit them on but i just hope it works.
When the fans blow on the water, will it make the current rough?

No, a fan shouldn't cause too much turbulence, but it will probably increase the rate of evaporation, so you might need to keep a closer eye on your water level/parameters.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back