Illness/Sickness: Resolved :) & a Massive Thank you too every one!

toxictart

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted a thread about my two axolotls (axol and saxson) who had both lost their gills on the same side, we took them to a vet all the way to kent and they are now doing fine the vet said it could be sexual maturity, we have since adopted another Axie who is in perfect health and is getting on very well with them both, still keeping an eye on them all to make sure there are no fights or tiffs. massive thank you too every one for the help warming up the water gradually seemed to help as now axol and especially saxson both have gills they are small but are most certain growing back so thank you every one! :)

I think I need to make a point, and I have a feeling it may sound a bit harsh. You posted earlier about your Axolotls being ill and you were looking for assistance. It was a mystery as to why they had become ill, and you had said your Axolotl "Azura" had died recently and you purchased "Saxson" to be a companion for "Axol". Then they became ill as well. This post was made less than 3 weeks ago, and you haven't even gotten a sure diagnosis of what the illness could have been. (You said it MIGHT be sexual maturity). Now you say that have added a 3rd Axolotl into a tank that a few of us didn't even think was big enough for 2. The new Axolotl clearly wasn't quarantined for the appropriate month, and you can't be sure that whatever was making them ill has passed and could endanger this one too. I also have a bit of an issue in your last post:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...tl/66590-help-needed-please-2.html#post220546

When you said you had changed the substrate and clearly hadn't. It seems you are excited to own axolotls, but you may be neglecting their well-being for your own satisfaction. I completely realize that this post is going to come off as somewhat rude, but I think you need to do more research when it comes to proper care of your Axolotls.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have been looking after animals for a long time now.. i do know how to look after axolotl's they seem to be fine and yeh we figured out what it was it was anchor worm or some kind of worm witch was eating away at their gills, got some medicine for it and changed their tank so it is big enough for 3 thanks they get on fine and have their gills back we done a complete water change * had no choice as we where moving*
Any thing left in the tank or water would of gone now i took them all to a vet yesterday and checked the new tank witch is still cycling i think and yes their substrate is now sand along with a brand new tank and i did change it, however the first sand i brought had crushed corral as i have mentioned in my post
so we had to take it back as i see that it is too dangerous too put in the tank with them, i did not buy dragon they where going to kill him, as he has been in the pet shop for over the amount of time and i could not let that happen when he is so sweet its not his fault that no one has brought him.. i don't apreiciate the fact you are saying i am neglecting them thank you very much.. of corse i am excited about owning them i love all my pets just want them to be happy and healthy and they are as as i have mentioned in my post if you read carefully i have mentioned i changed the substrate the next day when i returned the crushed corral.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back