Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Getting 2 axies 3"ers, new keeper, few questions.

Kelly

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been researching this site and a few others for as much information as I can find. I ordered 2 Leuc. juvies from btmexotics and they are due to arrive on Thursday.
I have two 2.5 gallon tanks, one for each of them for now. I will then use two 5.5's when they need more space. I will be using Deer Park and Polar Springs water with Novaqua dechlorinator for them. Bare bottom for now and daily water changes.
I will recieve with them one months supply of pellets and then order more allowing 2 weeks for delivery.
My friend has 2 female betta fish that are almost 2 years old in a 10 gallon tank with two filters that has been up and running with live plants for over a year now. She last changed the filters 2 weeks ago.
She is going to give me this tank to use for them once they are big enough to go into safely. Should there be any aggression issues I will set up another 10 gallon for the one that I move out. (The bettas will not be in with my babies).
I have frozen bloodworms on hand already to add to their diet once they are more comfortable.
I keep frogs and snakes and an AFT so I have a variety of hides and misc items to use for the babies once I sterilize these items.
Will using her already cycled tank be appropriate? Once the levels are tested and adequate for axies. She unfortunately does not check ph etc...just does water changes often. These fish are beloved by her but she cannot keep them. Obvoiusly I will keep them once they are here but certainly not with my axies. I don't believe in mixing species personally.
Does this sound like a fair game plan thus far?
I appreciate all input and advice from the experienced keepers here.
This site hasa plethora of valuable information for these lovely and captivating creatures. Thank you all for your time.
Kelly

BBJ

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi

I think it sounds like a very reasonable plan, apart from the 10G tank part, this is going to be way to small for two Axolotls, even too small for a single adult Axolotl.
But of course, if you are just planning on keeping them in that while they are still young and small, and move them into an appropriate tank size later on then fine :happy:

Using a tank that has already been cycled should be fine, dont forget to test water parameters first though.

Good that you are planning well ahead before getting the new Axolotls, i'm sure they will be in good hands.

Regards Bjorn

michaelaf

Reaction score
you have a good plan but i agree 10gall is too small. for when they are small its ok but you will definitly need a bigger tank later.i have 3 babys and a 15 gall for now.eventually im getting a 30 gall

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hey Kelly, welcome to the world of Axolotls! Sounds like you already have a nice little collection of critters, but get ready to try and explain what an Axolotl is when people ask you about your pets :D. I also ordered juvenile axies, which were about 3-4 inches when they arrived. You DO NOT have to put dechlorinator in the spring water, there is no chlorine in bottled waters like deer park and poland springs. 2.5 is going to be a bit cramped, and you should upgrade as soon as you can. Do not worry about the axies being too small for a tank...when I got my axies they were immediately placed in a 37 gallon tank and have done wonderfully. Based on their size at this point, you don't have to worry about pellets, and can feed them thawed frozen blood worms if you like. Just make sure they are placed in water from their tank, or already dechlorinated water to thaw them. Sounds like you have done your research and are well prepared for their arrival. I know this post is a bit long-winded, but it's better to be overinformed than under.

As long as your friends tank's water parameters check out, and there has been no past incidence of illness, it should be ok to use for your axies, even though 10gallons is about the absolute minimum for an adult axolotl. Good luck, and post pics when they arrive!

Kelly

Reaction score
Thank you all very much for your help and advice, I appreciate it!
I was advised against keeping them together, unless there are plenty of hiding spots for them. I tend to go over board with everything so I don't want to take chances.
I am thinking that since I have a 30 gallon already why not start playing with that and ssetting it up. Something to think about anyway.
I won't be getting them for another week or so since we have snow and there are delays but safest for them is what matters most. I can be patient.
I did get an API master test kit from my local shop luckily. It was the last one they had!
Oh, and I'm a picture nut! I have humdreds of frog pictures and all my other anilams as well. I will post plenty!
Thanks again!

Kelly

Reaction score
I'm in 7 cities VA. We didn't get much today but enough that it may cause a delay.

I'm still reading as much as possible and playing with my test kit. Lots to learn still. Tonight's lesson is all about water quality and ideal parameters.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1