Skin that turns white and stringy when agitated

Samyueruchan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

As the thread suggests, I have just today noticed a skin on my tank water that turns white and stringy when agitated. Should I be worried about this? The tank has been cycled for a month or so now and all the water parameters have been so good that I haven't changed any water in a number of weeks. I have a small bowl next to the tank that I empty meltwater from from frozen food and squeeze my turkey baster into. I've not emptied this bowl for a while and even this suddenly gained a skin on it today, with no water being added to it for two days.

The skin isn't fragrant or sticky. If it was bacterial or algal I would have expected a different colour or a smell, but perhaps that was naive of me. Would anyone be able to help me determine what this is and tell me whether or not I should be worried? My concern is that the skin might affect the oxygen concentrations in the water.

Thank you in advance!

Sam.

What you are referring to is a very common phenomenon. The layer that appears on the surface is the result of the accumulation of proteic derivates from bacterial decomposition of organic matter in the tank. To reduce it, you need to keep the tank clean of uneaten foods, decaying plants, feces, etc...
The inmediate remedy is usually to place a piece of kitchen paper in the surface and take it out quickly, so that the paper absorbs the oily layer.

Thank you very much for your extremely quick reply and sound advice! I normally feed my axolotl on bloodworms and he can be quite the messy eater. I shall make sure to be more diligent when it comes to clean-up time.

Thanks again.
Sam

That is one of the main causes right there, the blood worms. If you are feeding frozen blood worms, defrost them and rinse them well before feeding to your axie, this will help reduce the film on the surface of your water.

Cheers,
Alex

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back