Question: GFP Leucistic Axolotl breeding

Antony Rossi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone know the inheritance of the gene? Is it dominant or recessive?

Does anyone know the inheritance of the gene? Is it dominant or recessive?

Leucistic is recessive. Gfp is neither recessive or dominant. If you breed a gfp axolotl to a non gfp axolotl some of the offspring will be gfp. If you breed a gfp axolotl to a gfp axolotl most to all of the offspring will be gfp. Not all of the gfp offspring will "glow" the same under a black light. I'm not certain of the genetics of it. This is what I have seen from practical experience in breeding gfp axolotls.

I'm not sure if gfp can be carried and not expressed in an axolotl like a normal recessive.

Most GFP axolotls in circulation derive from a transgene inserted at the Max Planck Institute in Dresden and are bred from a male with a strong expressed gene which appeared to behave as a single mendelian gene expressed in all animals that inherit it shown by the glow being present in 50% of offspring in a mating with a non-transgenic animal.

In later generations all offspring should express the gene if one parent posesses two copies and 75% will occur if both parents posess one copy.

I do not know if axolotls with two copies show stronger expression than those with one.

A pdf of the article giving details is attached.

Attachments

• article.pdf
    607.7 KB · Views: 1,258
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back