Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Elite mini submersible filter question

Kelly

Reaction score
So since I'm a complete noob when it comes to filters and aquaria in general I spent some time in my local shop looking at filters. I found the Elite mini for a 3 gallon tank, 220 l/hr. It's tiny, doesn't put off heat and has adjustable flow. It seems quiet and doesn't chrun up the water much at all on the lowest setting. It's in a 10 gallon right now and only filled halfway. I have 2 hides and 2 decorations, bare bottom and a betta to start the cycling but I will take him out once levels become dangerous.
I was supposed to get an already cycled tank but that isn't happening now.
Anyone else use these? I can always use it for something else should I need to if it isn't a good idea to use it. Still don't have my babies yet due to weather but that's fine, more time to research.

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Axolotls don't really need a filter if you are vigilant with water changes and removing waste from the tank. I don't think a filter that small is going to have a large enough impact to be worth it taking up room in the tank. I'm sure it can't hurt...but I don't think it would be necessary.

michaelaf

Reaction score
i use a small whisper in tank filter. i personally think a filter is good since it helps with some of the waste cleanup.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a few of these filters and use them in a couple of different tanks. They are small and convenient, and I like them for that.

Kelly

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. It seems to be doing an okay job. I would imagine it would okay for the time being since they are still small. With a bare bottom and frequent changes it may serve it's purpose until the 30 is up and going. All depends on how well they like each other then I guess. It will be a bit before they go in together anyway.
Thanks for your advice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!