Scottish Axolotl fan in Newcastle Upon Tyne

sharon24577

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Display Name
Scottish Sharon
Hi there, my name is Sharon and I have cared for axolotls for over two years now. They are fascinating creatures and feel that I am constantly learning new things from them, both good and bad/sad.

I have two adults at the moment, one very large leucistic called Mary...I soon learnt that Mary is male but that was in the early days LOL :lol: I also have an adult Golden albino but sadly lost Kirkpatrick my Wild Type to a fungal infection last year :cry:. I tried all the advice on the forum (water changes, salt baths, reducing temp and herbal tonic was my last resort but to no avail). I just hope I don't have to go through that again as I sobbed my heart out. Am big softy am afraid (tearful just thinking about him - how sad???).

My fiance thinks am a nutter...it's safe to say he doesn't share my enthusiasm for axolotls :D having said that, he is a biology teacher and so has a great respect for their regenerative abilities.

I first fell in love with Axies due to their originality and entertaining nature, now i share my fiances respect for their amazing abilities. Can you imagine if people could do that! :eek: Can't say I like the idea of them being used for genetic studies but being a nurse I can understand the need for doing so...I try not to think too much about it. As I say, am a bit of a softy :p.

I have nine leucistic juveniles at the moment, which I have lovingly nurtured with the advice from an experienced breeder (who supplied me with them - thanks Jean) and by using the advice on this site (it has been like my bible these last couple of months!!!)

Anyway, I am aware I am rambling on now (it's late ha ha) ;) so I will go, but if there is anyone local who wants to share a love of axies or anyone else for that matter who can maybe give advice on prevention of further episodes of fungal infections....feel free. Speak soon I hope, Sharon x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back