STOP the Fungus Among Us!!!

sean n dad

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Sean n Dad
Hi all,
Just a question, what do folks do to reduce fungus on eggs, or is that a result of unfertilized eggs? I've seen similar issues with the fish I breed, but the fish usually takes care of the bad eggs!
Ed

im not sure but i think they are dead and should be removed, but wait for someone more experienced.

Generally speaking, eggs with fungus are unfertilized, or in the case of certain European species, the result of a genetic mutation that causes about 50% of the eggs to die part way through embryonic development.

Eggs covered with fungi should be removed carefully with a turkey baster or similar method and allowed to dessicate before proper disposal. This prevents the occurrence of fungi killing viable eggs close to the dead ones.

As for prevention, this is a nearly impossible endeavor. Dead eggs always mold over. Some folks have tried meth blue (like with fish) but many keepers report that this resulted in high larvae mortality rates.

Most commonly, fungus appears in unfertilized or aborted eggs, but it can also affect healthy eggs. Saprolegnia sp. has been known to affect perfectly healthy batches of eggs.

I find that removing affected eggs is usually enough to prevent the fungus from spreading. I was also told, but can´t confirm it, that eggs kept in "old" water were less prone to contracting fungus, while those kept in "new" water such as aged tap water or spring water, were more likely to be affected. Perhaps someone can elaborate on that. My guess is that it has something to do with competition...

I must admit that i´ve never had a real problem with fungus since it´s only affected dud eggs or aborted embryos of the genus Triturus, but i know some poeple have, and i think methylene blue is used rather succesfully to prevent fungal growth.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back