Question: Overly active? eating alot?

matty d

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Matt
My 35L tank has a dark blue/purple light, i only turn it on in the evening just before feeding time and for some time after.
He becomes very active and will eat up to 3-4 bait worms( skinny earth worms up to an inch long) every night. his tank temp hovers round 23*C dropping to 21*C overnight and peaking 24-25*C during the day.
Is this normal for him to eat this much? will the light effective him? are earth worms enough?

I'd be more worried about those daytime temperatures right now than its eating habits. Here is an article on cooling methods if you haven't already seen it.

Is the light your refering to a black light? The kind that makes things glow.

The temp is quite dangerous for your axolotl as Greatwtehunter has said, and also 35L isn't big enough for an adult Axolotl.
What are your water parameters?

Mel

Hey Guys thanks, i've been using cooling ice blocks in his tank and found his tank hovers around 20-21*C during the day and not much cooler overnight.
In reguards to the light in the tank, its is sort of a black light, not overly bright and only the plants glow a tiny bit
I am unsure of my water parameters, but here's what i can tell you: PH is usually between 7.2 and 7.4, it is filtered rain water and has no added chemicals or chlorine

I´m not worried about the light, but about the temp and the tank dimensions.
How old/big is your axie? Is it still a juvenile?
You should buy a test kit for measuring the water parameters.
How often are you doing water changes?

yeah i rekon my axie is only a few months old, he's still only a few inches long, i recently got him for my birthday.
I've been changing the water every few days, about 4 litres at a time,
The tank its self is just over a foot long and a foot high and just under a foot deep. I've filled it up to the recommened line so he/she (unsure of sex) has plenty to swim in.
I've just order in a new parameter testing kit, so i'll have more details and a better idea in a few weeks

eating habbits in that temp is normal. axolots have a metabolism that adepts to the suroundings so how warmer the tank how more there metabolism is working and they get stres from the temp also an reason for eating mucht best temp is 20 in all times

sorry for the bad engelish im not an native speaker

tuxar

Hey, thanks all!
I've been able to keep my tank temp down to 20-21*C just by having good air con, a fan circulating the air round his tank and regular fresh water ice blocks added to his tank, He has calmed down and looks much more relaxed now that the temp isnt changing dramaticly. He is still eating 3-4 bait worms a day, and is gettin into a routine of feeding times.
just thanks again!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back