Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Stupid worm escapes, hides in gravel

Insidious Beast

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I just fed my axolotl a cut up worm, but the biggest part of it escaped and hid. I've read in another thread that it's recommended to dig it out (not looking forward to this), but is it also possible that it will surface and my axy will eat it? I'm a bit worried that it might still be too big for her to swallow though.

(Also, I just found out that small gravel isn't suitable for axolotls, thanks for informing me correctly pet store. I cleared out a space where I feed her so there's less chance that she swallows some gravel while eating, but I will replace it with bigger gravel or sand soon.)

Samyueruchan

Reaction score
I would suggest digging it up as soon as possible. If your axolotl does dig for it then s/he will almost certainly swallow a few stones in the process, which I'm sure that you now know poses a great risk of impaction. I trust that you are going to change the substrate as soon as possible, but I would make sure to get that worm up and out of the gravel before your axolotl tries to go for it.

Kiwi303

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I've just cleaned out all the gravel that came with my two axies, now they have some large stones and pottery pieces, and the bacterial filtration is being done by bacteria colonised on some ceramic bio-filtration bead substrate in the filter housing.

Gettign rid of swallowable stones is a good start in keeping your axies safe :D with the gravel gone, the worm should be easy to find on a sand or clear floor,

tuxar linuxarmy

Reaction score
best is to dig it out dont let you axie swallow the stones by trying to get the worms out stones can glog your axie

en crofty is geen goed idee om hem te ontstoppen :lol:

Insidious Beast

Reaction score
Well, right after I made this thread I went to check on her, and she found it already! I cut it in some more pieces and fed it to her, she refused the last piece though. It's cool to see she has a bit of self control when it comes to feeding, I've read axolotls can be quite greedy :) I've kept an eye on her for the rest of the evening and she seems okay, I don't see any signs of her having swallowed some gravel. Right now she's taking a nap on top of some floating plants :)

Thanks for the replies!

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Gravel is a poor choice depending on the size of it. If it is smaller than her head, she will ingest some of it if she has not already. Have a read of the Axolotl Site and Caudata Culture articles on the subject, your axolotl will thank you for it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1