Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Still struggling with a juvenile FBN...

srfr72

Reaction score
I feel like it's been one step forwards and two steps back with this little guy. I've owned it for about 15 months now. It was real sick and skinny when I got it. He didn't eat for the longest time but I've been hand feeding earthworms to it along with the occasional pinhead cricket. It finally seems that it might start taking to the water because it's been spending most of it's time with it's body in the shallows but refuses to get it's head wet! Once again it's pretty much stopped eating also. It seems to be taking just enough to sustain itself but it's still waaaayy smaller than the adults I have. Any suggestions would be great. I know that things will start looking up when it becomes fully aquatic but until then it's getting more and more frustrating. Thanks!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I see that no one tried to answer this. There isn't a good answer that I know of. You just have to keep trying with the handfed earthworms daily, and hope for the best. You could try re-arranging its setup to push it to be aquatic, but if it isn't ready then this will just stress it further.

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
I see that no one tried to answer this. There isn't a good answer that I know of. You just have to keep trying with the handfed earthworms daily, and hope for the best. You could try re-arranging its setup to push it to be aquatic, but if it isn't ready then this will just stress it further.

I was told wax worms were a good thing to fatten newts up.

Also I have a newt which is similar and he wouldn't eat until he was given brine shrimp.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1